Game Recaps, Women's Hockey

Women’s Hockey shootout victory against UConn

By Gillian McMahon

Following a tough loss to Harvard in the Beanpot semifinal on Tuesday afternoon, the Boston University women’s ice hockey team (10-10-5, 9-6-4 HE) bounced back with a 2-1 shootout win in Hockey East action against the No. 10 University of Connecticut Huskies (20-6-3, 14-5-3 HE) at Walter Brown Arena. 

The Terriers matched up with the Huskies earlier in the season on Nov. 6, resulting in a 1-0 win for the Huskies after many chances on both sides did not materialize in the back of the net. 

The first period started strong for the Terriers, who played together, much more than they did Tuesday against Harvard. With strong passing and the ability to set up in the offensive zone, the Terriers put themselves in better scoring positions. Despite no goals in the first, BU’s offense looked settled and balanced. 

The Terriers’ defensive effort was also on point, especially with hustle plays from junior forward Julia Nearis, senior defenseman Alex Allan, sophomore defenseman Tamara Giaquinto, and junior defenseman Grace Parker who are not afraid to slide in front of pucks, break up plays, and get things going toward the other end of the ice.

This defense sparked offensive momentum throughout the game and kept the Terriers in an attacking mindset. After enough quality shots on goal, it would seem that one was bound to drop at some point or another. 

The second period started with the Terriers on the power play after a body-checking penalty on UConn junior forward Amy Landry where they got some decent looks, but to no avail. The Terriers dominated the period in the UConn offensive zone, but it was the Huskies that were able to get on the board first. 

Senior left wing Viki Harkness scored from the circle to the right of BU goaltender freshman Callie Shanahan, to put the Huskies up 1-0 midway through the first. She was assisted by linemates senior center Danielle Fox and graduate right-wing Morgan Wabick. 

Shortly thereafter, an interference on Terrier sophomore defenseman Julia Shaunessy led to a shorthanded goal for senior forward Mackenna Parker, unassisted, off the breakaway to tie up the game. 

Shanahan showed real poise between the pipes for the duration of the game, especially after the continued blitz of shot attempts and rebounds fired by UConn. 

The third period started with a power play for the Terriers after a penalty on UConn graduate left defense, Chole Gonsalves, but they were not able to make it count. The period continued with back and forth play, and solid shot attempts on both sides of the ice, but neither team was to take a one-goal advantage. 

With 0.04 seconds left Shuanuseey was called for a body checking penalty, and a 4-3 start to the five-minute overtime ensued. Shanahan made some beautiful saves as the Huskies were all over the net, and controlled the puck for much of the overtime period. 

As the clock wound down, it seemed that UConn was about to get a wide open break away, only for their final shot to be blocked by a sliding junior defenseman Nadia Mattivi. 

The Terriers would send out senior forward Courtney Correia, freshman forward Kylie Roberts, and Parker in the three attempt shootout. Roberts scored first, and following a UConn miss, Mackenna Parker sealed the shootout win. 

Roberts, though a freshman, looked confident and poised all night long, setting up her teammates for success and constantly looking to make plays at the net. 

The Terriers will look to use this game as solid momentum in the coming weeks as they jockey for position in the Hockey East standings. They currently sit at number six, two points behind the University of Maine. 

The Terriers will travel to face Comm Ave rival Boston College Saturday afternoon with a puck drop scheduled for 3 p.m. in Chestnut Hill. Following that, they will play Northeastern in the consolation game of the Beanpot Championship at Matthews Arena on Tuesday afternoon. 

Continue to follow along for all Terrier hockey action right here at The Boston Hockey Blog, on Instagram @boston.hockey.blog and Twitter at @BOShockeyblog.