Quinn Hutson hat trick leads Terriers to 6-1 win over Vermont

Photo by Gracie Davenport.

The hats came raining down at Agganis Arena. 

Sophomore forward Quinn Hutson’s hat trick with six seconds remaining in regulation sealed the Boston University men’s hockey team’s 6-1 win over the University of Vermont Saturday night and closed out the regular season.

“He’s continued to get better in all areas. He’s gotten better defensively this year. We know he can finish,” BU head coach Jay Pandolfo said of Quinn postgame. “Hopefully he’s getting hot at the right time. He always scores big goals for us.” 

Six Terriers logged multi-point games – including Quinn, Lane Hutson, Macklin Celebrini, Nick Zabaneh, Ryan Greene and Tom Willander – in BU’s final showing before the Hockey East tournament. 

The Terriers (23-8-2, 17-4-2 HE) put forth a three-goal third period against the Catamounts (13-17-3, 7-13-3 HE), and scored four times on the power play in the dominant win. 

“Overall, good effort. Good way to finish the regular season,” Pandolfo said.  

Quinn Hutson, Lane Hutson and Macklin Celebrini combined for six points in the first period to give the Terriers a 2-0 lead. Quinn scored twice on the power play in the opening frame – for his 14th and 15th goals of the season – while Lane and Celebrini picked up assists on both. 

Quinn’s first of the night came at 9:04 as Vermont freshman forward Mateo Dixon sat for hooking. Celebrini settled a pass from Lane with one hand on his stick before dishing it over to Quinn on the left side who wristed it in for the 1-0 lift. The play marked Quinn’s 30th point of his sophomore season – passing last year’s total of 28. 

Photo by Gracie Davenport.

“Got stronger, so it’s a little bit easier out there. Playing with more confidence, so I think that helps a lot,” Quinn said postgame.  

The Terriers got back on the man advantage with just over two minutes remaining in the period as Catamount junior forward Isak Walther headed to the box for tripping. Quinn’s second goal mirrored his first – a snipe from the left circle – but this time the puck was dealt to him by Lane from the point. BU led 2-0 at 18:19. 

“It won’t get old ever. It’s pretty cool every time,” Quinn said of getting assists from his brother.  

Sophomore forward Jeremy Wilmer was assessed a five-minute major and game misconduct at 4:03 of the second period for roughing and contact to the head – senior forward Thomas Jarman served the penalty in his first game action of the season. 

Vermont was able to convert. Junior Simon Jellus made it 2-1 at 2:52 with a rocket from the high slot that cleanly beat junior goaltender Mathieu Caron. However, senior forward Nick Zabaneh responded less than a minute later with his third short-handed goal of the season. 

“[Zabaneh] never stops competing,” Pandolfo said “Great to see him get rewarded again. With his speed, he’s dangerous shorthanded.” 

Zabaneh picked up a behind-the-back pass from sophomore forward Ryan Greene at the top of the offensive zone and wired it past Vermont freshman goaltender Axel Mangbo for the 3-1 scoreline at 6:39. 

“It’s just kind of like reading off of the three other guys on the ice. I think there’s a little more room out there, I guess…I can use my speed a bit more,” Zabaneh said of the penalty kill.  

The Terriers extended their lead in the final stanza by three goals for the final 6-1 score. Celebrini potted his seventh tally in five games – and 29th of the season – while BU skated 4-on-3. The freshman forward snapped it through traffic to make it 4-1 at 13:29. 

“I think it’s just sticking with it, playing the full 60 minutes. I think we have struggled with that as of late. So just coming out in the third and doing our thing, that means a lot,” Zabaneh said. 

Freshman forward Jack Harvey logged the only even-strength goal of the game at 13:29 after freshman defenseman Tom Willander forced a turnover in front of the Vermont net. Harvey picked up the loose rubber and backhanded it bar-down for the 5-1 advantage. 

Quinn Hutson closed the game, and secured his second hat trick of the season, with six seconds remaining in regulation. BU was on the power play once again, and Quinn sent one soaring from – you guessed it – the left circle. Zabaneh assisted on the play for his second point of the night. 

Saturday was also senior night at Agganis Arena. The Terriers’ nine seniors were honored in a pregame ceremony, and goaltenders Henry Graham and Nick Howard got their first game action at the end of the third period.  

The Terriers, who are locked into second place in the Hockey East standings, will now gear up for the playoffs. They have the bye in the opening round and will host the quarterfinals on Saturday, March 16 – opponent is still to be determined. 

“We’re going into playoffs with a lot of confidence,” Quinn said. “We know what we can do.”

1. Good job boys no let down prwtty good overall 60 mins effort.. Now rest up and lets start this postseason run .. Hopefully Peterson will be back soon… . Let’s go bu 🐾..

2. Talked to Peterson during periods and he said he is set to go.