Game Recaps, Women's Hockey

Women’s Hockey with OT win over Maine

By Mark Fraenkel

With just Maine goaltender Jorden Mattison standing between the Terriers and a victory, sophomore forward Lacey Martin squared to shoot. Martin found the back of the net and the Boston University women’s hockey team (12-13-5, 11-8-4 HE) defeated the University of Maine Blackbears (12-18-1, 10-13-1 HE) 3-2 in overtime. 

After splitting their two game series with the University of Vermont last weekend, the Terriers got off to a poor start on Tuesday afternoon at Walter Brown Arena. 

Just less than four minutes into the game, BU found themselves down 1-0, as Maine’s Morgan Trimper got her team on the board first. 

The Blackbears were quick to capitalize after a body checking penalty on sophomore defenseman Julia Shaunessy in the second period. Approximately 15 seconds into the power play, Maine’s Elise Morphy scored to give Maine a two goal lead. 

Head Coach Brian Durocher couldn’t point to one reason for his team’s slow start. 

“Not exactly sure why the slow start,” Durocher said in the post game press conference. “I think the bottom line was we just weren’t executing, as far as you know, catching passes getting their feet moving.”

Maine would sustain that lead into the second intermission. However, Durocher liked what he saw offensively in the second period. 

“In the second period we started to come back with some good momentum,” Durocher said. “People starting to you know get opportunities. I think we had close to 30 shots attempted in the second period to get nothing to show for it on the scoreboard. But at least there was hope.”

Sophomore forward Clare O’Leary scored about four and a half minutes into the third period to cut the lead in half.

Tuesday’s game was also O’Leary’s birthday. Durocher complimented the now 21-year-old to the media post game. 

“You know she may [play] with less flash than some other people, but she has strength,” Durocher said. “She has size and good composure out there and you know to pick up a rebound and put that away was huge for us.”  

Then with just under two minutes remaining in regulation, senior forward Courtney Correia lit the lamp to tie the game at two a piece. 

Martin scored her overtime winning goal about one minute into the overtime period. 

Durocher spoke highly of the Minnetonka, Minnesota native who secured the victory for the Terriers on home ice. 

“Lacey’s, you know, a kid who shoots the puck extremely well. I was kind of looking for her to finish real late in the game,” Durocher said. 

The Terriers will head to Providence on Friday before hosting the Friars on Saturday at 5:00pm at Walter Brown Arena. For the Blackbears, they will host the University of New Hampshire for two games this weekend. These two games for both BU and Maine will be the final games of the regular season before the Hockey East playoffs. 

We’ll have full coverage of this weekend’s series so follow along on Twitter @BOShockeyblog and Instagram @boston.hockey.blog.