Game Previews, Women's Hockey

Women’s Hockey back at Wally B to take on UConn

By Mark Fraenkel

After a 4-1 loss to Harvard in the first round of the Beanpot on Tuesday, the Boston University women’s hockey team (10-10-4, 9–6-3 Hockey East) is set to host the University of Connecticut Huskies (20-6-2, 14-5-2 HE) tonight at Walter Brown Arena.

Although sophomore forward Lacey Martin tied the opening round game in the second period, the Crimson scored three unanswered goals in the third period to advance to the Beanpot Championship against Boston College. 

The Terriers have struggled lately. Their 4-3 win over Holy Cross last Friday was the team’s first regulation win since Dec. 4th against Merrimack. Powered by two goals from freshman forward Kylie Roberts, the Terriers also got goals from sophomore defenseman Julia Shaunessy, freshman forward Christina Vote in the win over the Crusaders. However, BU did allow three unanswered goals in the final seven minutes of the game. 

UConn, on the other hand, is playing phenomenal hockey. The Huskies have won six out of their last eight games. 

The Huskies travel to Boston following a win over Holy Cross on Sunday.  Sophomore forward Jada Habisch and graduate student forward Morgan Wabick scored in the 2-1 victory. Freshman goaltender Megan Warrener made 29 saves and collected the win. 

UConn won both of the previous games against the Terriers this season. In a home and home series on the weekend of Nov. 5, the Huskies only allowed one goal. 

Graduate student forward Summer-Rae Dobson leads the Huskies in goals with 11 this season. Senior forward Viki Harkness, graduate student forward Natalie Snodgrass, and sophomore forward Jada Habisch are all tied for second place in scoring with 10 goals. 

BU’s recent struggles are now seen in the Hockey East standings. The Terriers currently occupy the sixth spot in the standings. BU leads the seventh place University of New Hampshire by six points, and trails fifth place Boston College by four points. UConn is currently in third place, one point away from the second place University of Vermont.

The puck will drop at 7:00pm at Wally B as the Terriers try to find their stride again in the second half of the season. We’ll have coverage on the blog following the buzzer in the third. As always, follow along on Twitter @BOShockeyblog and Instagram @boston.hockey.blog for further updates. 

Following Friday night’s game, the Terriers will play Boston College at Conte Forum on Saturday afternoon. They will then play Northeastern in the consolation round of the Beanpot on Tuesday. Next weekend, BU travels to Burlington, Vermont for two games against UVM. For UConn, they will travel to Durham, New Hampshire to play the UNH on Saturday afternoon. The Huskies have a home and home series with Providence College next weekend.