Game Recaps, Women's Hockey

Women’s Hockey victorious against Holy Cross

The Boston University women’s hockey team (10-9-4, 9-6-3 Hockey East) was in Worcester last night to face off against the Holy Cross Crusaders (3-21, 1-18 HE) for the third time this season. The Terriers earned their first regulation win of 2022 with a 4-3 feat.  

The Crusaders have only won one conference matchup and were on a six game losing streak heading into puck drop. With Holy Cross sitting at the very bottom of the standings, it was important BU collected the three points against a weaker opponent. 

The away game was not streamed for fans to watch, but the Terriers had an eventful night on the ice for themselves nonetheless. 

Sophomore defenseman Julia Shaunessy opened scoring for her group with her fourth goal of the season assisted by sophomore forward Clare O’Leary. The shot from the slot at 13:52 gave BU a 1-0 lead and was the only tally in the first period. 

Reentering the lineup for the first time since Nov. 11, freshman forward Kylie Roberts put up a two-goal performance. She netted her first of the evening at 2:32 in the second period with the help of sophomore defenseman Tamara Giaquinto and senior forward Jesse DeVito. 

Going into the last frame up 2-0, the Terriers soon doubled their lead with contributions from freshman forward Christina Vote and Roberts. With 10 minutes remaining on the clock, the Crusaders began to chip away at BU’s 4-0 advantage. 

Sophomore forwards Lilly Feeney, Millie Sirum and Bryn Saarela all scored in Holy Cross’ attempted comeback––two goals garnered on the power play. The home team tightened the score to 4-3 with 25 seconds left and kept the Terriers on their toes up until the final buzzer. 

Senior goaltender Kate Stuart was between the pipes and made 23 stops, resulting in a .923 save percentage on the night.

Although BU secured the victory, there’s no reason to let Holy Cross back into the game that late in the third. The Terriers might’ve subconsciously taken their foot off the gas a bit because of their hefty lead, but more shutdown hockey should’ve been played. 

With this win under their belts, BU is now preparing for a much tougher competition on Sunday against the Boston College Eagles. The Battle of Comm Ave will be reignited tomorrow at 1:00pm at Walter Brown Arena. We’ll have a recap up after the game and, as always, follow along on Twitter @BOShockeyblog and Instagram @boston.hockey.blog for further updates.