Game Previews, Women's Hockey

Women’s Hockey prepares to take on UConn

By James Garrison

The Boston University women’s hockey team (5-1-3, 4-0-3 Hockey East) has a home-and-home series against the University of Connecticut Huskies (8-1-0, 4-1-0, Hockey East). The two teams faced off once last season, with the Huskies securing a 4-1 win at home on December 11th. 

The Terriers and Huskies both received votes for the USCHO’s women’s hockey national poll but have yet to enter the top ten. They both have played Merrimack College and University of Vermont. While the Huskies went 2-1 against Merrimack, the Terriers suffered a shootout loss. The Huskies took down Vermont 2-1 last Saturday, while the Terriers took them down in a shootout the day before. 

Earning five out of a possible six points last weekend, the Terriers improved their record to 5-1-3. In Sunday’s win against Providence, both Clare O’Leary (2 assists) and Catherine Foulem (1 goal, 1 assists) notched two points. 

Terriers’ senior forward Courtney Correia was named the Hockey East player of the month after recording six goals and five assists for a total of eleven points in nine games. Correia also has a +7 plus-minus rating this season. 

Correia has already surpassed her point total from last year, where she recorded two goals and six assists for eight points in twelve games in 2020-21. Correia’s career season high in points as a Terrier is seventeen, which she scored in her sophomore year. If Correia is able to keep up this production, she should set a new career high by the end of the season. 

Alongside Correia, junior forward Julia Nearis and senior forward Mackenna Parker have been leading the way for the Terriers this season up front. Nearis is second on the Terriers with three goals and six assists in six games. Parker has tallied two goals and five assists in seven games. 

For the Huskies, the scoring has been fairly balanced, with eight players having scored four or more points this season. Graduate student Natalie Snodgrass has led the way for the Huskies with three goals and five assists in nine games. 

Senior goaltender Kate Stuart is expected to start this weekend, looking to continue what has been a very successful 2021-22 campaign thus far. After missing the beginning of the season due to injury, Stuart has recorded an impressive 0.937 save percentage and a 1.76 goals-against-average. 

The Huskies starting goaltender, senior Samantha Carpentier-Yelle has put up a decent save percentage of 0.908 and a very impressive goals-against-average of 1.87 in seven starts. Freshman goaltender Megan Warrener has appeared in seven games, only starting two though. Warrener has recorded a 0.949 with a goals-against-average of 1.00. 

The Terriers currently find themselves second in Hockey East standings, only two points behind Northeastern University, who they defeated 2-1 on October 8th at Walter Brown Arena. The Huskies currently occupy fourth place, behind Boston College, Boston University, and Northeastern. 

The Terriers have been stellar in terms of both goaltending and defense, having only surrendered one goal in each of their last three games after a 4-2 loss against RPI on October 22nd. Despite dropping a couple of points here and there in the shootout, the Terriers have been able to get valuable points in the standings so far this season. 

For the month of November, the Terriers have games against UConn, Holy Cross, UMaine, and Boston College. The caliber of opponents is mixed, but the Terriers still should continue their strong start to the season, with all eyes on the first matchup of the season between BU and BC on Sunday November 21st. 

The Terriers will open the weekend in Hartford, with puck drop set for 6:00 p.m. Friday night at the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum. The series will transition to Boston on Saturday, where the Terriers and Huskies will face off at 3:00 p.m. at Walter Brown Arena.