Off-Ice News

Logan Cockerill named captain for 2020-21 season

Rising senior forward Logan Cockerill has been named captain of the Boston University men’s ice hockey team for the 2020-21 season, per an announcement from head coach Albie O’Connell on Monday morning. Cockerill will succeed Patrick Curry as captain of the Terriers.

“We were very excited that Logan was voted by his teammates to be the next captain of BU hockey,” O’Connell said in a team statement. “Logan is a natural leader and his competitive spirit on and off the ice is infectious. He has big shoes to fill with Patrick Curry graduating, but after wearing an ‘A’ this year as a junior, he has already demonstrated that he can lead. Our spring workouts start today and we’re confident that Logan will be able to keep the team connected and focused during these difficult times.”

Cockerill served as an assistant captain this past season alongside rising senior defenseman Cam Crotty and former senior Patrick Harper, who signed his entry-level contract with the Nashville Predators last week. The hard-nosed left-winger missed half of the 2019-20 season after sustaining an injury during the first home weekend of the year.

In the 18 games he suited up for, the Brighton, Mich. native tallied two goals and three assists for five points to go along with a minus-five rating and 12 penalty minutes. On his career as a Terrier, Cockerill has 14-22-36 totals in 92 games in addition to a plus-three rating and 57 penalty minutes. A product of the United States National Team Development Program, he had his most productive season as a freshman in 2017-18, where he had 8-12-20 in 37 games.

The assistant captains for the 2020-21 campaign will be named in April, per O’Connell.

1. I wish Logan the best of luck in this role. I wish doctors and public health officials success in getting rid of this pandemic before the season starts.

2. If BU is to have any success this saeason, Cockerill best shed his aptly deserved appellation- ‘pond skater’.

3. Interesting choice. Being honest, never really thought about him in this position.

Wonder what happens if Farrance comes back, would he have an “A”?