Game Previews

Terriers to face Boston College in Hockey East Championship

Photo by Gracie Davenport.

All the pieces have fallen into place.

Everyone knows the story of David vs. Goliath. But what happens when the two domineering titans of college hockey clash with the weight of the conference’s highest prize on the line?

No. 2 Boston University and No. 1 Boston College have already dueled three times this season with the Eagles sweeping the home-and-home series in late January, and their Green Line rival taking the opening round of the Beanpot nine days later.

However, no game means more than Saturday’s.

The Terriers (26-8-2) will take on the Eagles (30-5-1) with the Hockey East title on the line in the Championship game at TD Garden for a 7:30 p.m. puck drop. 

“I’m sure it’s gonna be obviously a crazy atmosphere like it always is, but we’re going to be ready,” sophomore forward Ryan Greene said postgame Friday. “It’s always exciting playing those guys and to get to play them in the Hockey East Championship makes it even more special.”

The Terriers earned their way to Saturday night through a battle with No. 7 Maine in a 4-1 contest. A highlight of BU’s performance was special teams. 

While the BU penalty kill ranks sixth in the conference, the Terriers were able to survive two penalties one of which occurred in the final 12 seconds of the first period. The Terriers endured a streak of seven power play goals allowed in seven games earlier this season. They have another challenge tomorrow with a potent BC powerplay which ranks second in the conference.

“Our kill did a great job,” sophomore defenseman Lane Hutson said postgame. “That’s really a strength of our team. When we take a penalty, whether it’s a good call or a bad call, we know our kill is going to get up for it and give us momentum.”

The Terriers’ power play unit has been key to their success all season and especially against Maine. BU has converted on six of 11 opportunities in its three games against Maine this season. Yesterday was no different when Hutson made a slick move to the slot on a powerplay early in the game, and Greene received a perfect dish from freshman forward Shane Lachance to put the game out of reach in the third.

“We’ve probably had the better of them five-on-five three games in a row, and it’s shown,” Maine senior forward Lynden Breen said postgame. “Then you make one mistake and it’s in the back of the net. They just capitalize on every chance they get.”

The Terriers’ own Hockey East’s best power play with a 28.8% conversion rate. In the three matchups against BC this season, BU has batted below its average, scoring on two of 10 chances. However, the Terriers have been firing all cylinders as of late, netting eight man-advantage goals in their last four games.

Photo by Gracie Davenport.

The other key factor to BU’s success against Maine was junior goaltender Mathieu Caron. Caron stopped 32 of 33 shots Friday night, most remarkably knocking down several high-pressure one-on-one chances by the Black Bears and surviving a flurry of shots in the final four minutes of the game in the 6-on-5.

“Knowing he’s back there, it makes it really easy for all our D, just that extra layer,” Hutson said. “No one’s going to be perfect and mistakes are going to happen, but knowing he’s back there, he always has our backs.”

BU head coach Jay Pandolfo wasn’t afraid to say the team wasn’t at its best against Maine, noting the lack of sustained pressure in the offensive zone. BU was outshot 33-18 with only 10 shots through the first two periods of play. 

“Playing against BC, you have to manage your puck through the neutral zone, in your zone, you gotta make sure you’re advancing pucks north,” Pandolfo said. “Tonight we didn’t do a good enough job at advancing pucks at certain times, so tomorrow night, that’s a key.”

Boston College made its way to the Championship game by handedly defeating No. 13 University of Massachusetts 8-1. UMass scored the first goal of the game, but the Eagles quickly ran away with eight unanswered. 

Freshman forward Gabe Perreault returned to the lineup for BC for the first time since Feb. 23 due to a wrist injury. Perreault didn’t miss a beat, however, scoring the game-winner in the first and another goal early in the third for what would end up a four-point day. 

The BC penalty kill staved off three penalties, including a five-minute major, while special teams netted two power play goals. 

It’s a quick turnaround for the NCAA’s top two teams, but with the lights the brightest, only one college hockey colossus will walk away with their name in the rafters.

“I think just being in this situation and being able to play at TD Garden, it’s really cool for our guys,” Hutson said. “Luckily pucks have been going in, so hopefully it keeps going in.”

Photo by Gracie Davenport.

Five things to know about the Eagles: 

• It’s the third time BU and BC are facing each other in the Hockey East Championship game. BU has taken the 1986 game 9-4 and the 2006 championship 2-1.
  • Boston College boasts two Hobey Baker finalists in sophomore forward Cutter Gauthier and freshman forward Will Smith.
  • BC is anchored by freshman goaltender Jacob Fowler, who owns a .924 save percentage and an average of 2.19 goals allowed per game. Fowler is a Mike Richter finalist and Hockey East goaltender of the year. 
  • The Eagles last won the Hockey East Championship in 2012 when they defeated Maine 4-1.
  • Smith leads the entire NCAA in points with 58, including 18 goals and 40 assists.

Puck drop is set for 7:30 pm at TD Garden. The Boston Hockey Blog will have full, on-the-ground coverage so be sure to follow along on Twitter (X) @BOShockeyblog and Instagram @boston.hockey.blog.

1. i am still shellshocked from watching BC score last night. Tonight will be a tall order. Go BU