Terriers’ losing streak extends to three games in 4-3 overtime loss to Northeastern

Photo by Gracie Davenport.

A questionable too-many-men call, a fuming Jay Pandolfo and a Northeastern overtime, game-winning goal. 

The Boston University men’s hockey team (16-7-1, 11-4-1 Hockey East) fell 4-3 to the Huskies (10-12-2, 5-11-0 HE) Tuesday night at Matthews Arena.  

A power-play, tip-in shot from Husky freshman forward Dylan Hryckowian in the five-minute extra period secured Northeastern’s 4-3 victory over the Terriers, which extended its losing streak to three games. 

“I don’t really have any comment on that call at all. Zero,” Pandolfo said postgame of the bench minor that led to the Huskies’ overtime winner.

On if he was frustrated about how the matchup ended: “Very.” 

Northeastern contained BU for a majority of the opening frame, leading with physicality and clogging both passing and shooting lanes. The Huskies had eight blocked shots – each from a different player – in the first, and did a dominant job pushing the Terriers off of pucks in the neutral zone. 

Graduate defenseman Matthew Staudacher released a lofty wrister from the left side that floated past junior goaltender Mathieu Caron to give the Huskies a 1-0 lead at 15:16 of the first period. 

The Terriers found the equalizer in the second period while Northeastern junior forward Justin Hryckowian sat for holding-the-stick. Macklin Celebrini’s team-leading seventh power-play goal of the season made it 1-1 at 14:44. The freshman forward lasered it over Husky goaltender Cameron Whitehead’s left shoulder from the top of the right circle for his 18th tally and 34th point of the year. 

Photo by Gracie Davenport.

Sophomore forward Quinn Hutson took a hooking penalty at 18:53 of the middle stanza, leaving the Huskies with 53 seconds on the power play to open the third period, which BU ultimately killed off.

However, Northeastern got right back on the man advantage at 1:08 of the final frame as captain and graduate defenseman Case McCarthy was called for hooking, and sophomore forward Jack Williams regained the Husky lead. 

“The stick penalties are a problem for us, there’s no question about it. It’s something that we have to stop doing. We have to find a way to stay out of the penalty box,” Pandolfo said.  

Williams – who leads Northeastern in points with 28 – one-timed it from above the left face-off dot to make it 2-1 at 2:50. Sophomore defenseman Jackson Dorrington padded the Huskies’ lead, 3-1, at 8:32 of the third period on a similar shot from the left shoulder. 

BU got itself within one thanks to a net-front Q. Hutson who snapped the puck high, right corner at 9:49. The sophomore forward’s 10th goal of the season made it 3-2 and was dished to him by brother Lane Hutson who picked up his second assist of the night on the play.  

Photo by Gracie Davenport.

While Ryan Greene tied the contest 3-3 with 1:11 remaining in regulation – whacking home the rebound of M. Celebrini’s shot from the top of the zone – it proved not to be enough. The goal also came while the Terriers were skating 6-on-5 with Caron pulled for the extra player, and Pandolfo emphasized the need for more 5-on-5 production. 

“Little disappointed that we can’t find ways to capitalize earlier in the game. We just, for whatever reason, the puck’s not going in easy for us,” Pandolfo said. “It seems like it’s been a challenge for us to score goals at even strength. It’s something that we have to address.” 

The Terriers dominated the opening 2:30 of overtime before they were put on the penalty kill where the Huskies ended it. It’s time for some soul searching on Comm Ave. 

“We’ve just got to regroup. We can’t feel sorry for ourselves,” Pandolfo said. “You have to face adversity as a team at some point, because at some point you’ve got to go through it. We’re hitting right now…We’ve got to work our way out of it, and soon.” 

The Terriers will be back in action Friday night at Whittemore Center Arena where they’ll face the University of New Hampshire for the third time this season. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m., and the Boston Hockey Blog will have full, on-the-ground coverage so be sure to follow along on Twitter (X) @BOShockeyblog and Instagram @boston.hockey.blog.

1. I saw the first 2 periods and then left, as I live on cape cod and have to work the next day. Same story, inability to score off of numerous opportunities and shots domination save for terrific finish by celebrini on the PP. Then I guess a collapse in the 3rd period and a belated comeback as usual, but again not enough. They have not been able to rescue games recently after falling behind as well as earlier in the season. You can go to the well only so often. At least they got a point.

• Vito, As usual your observations are correct. Mike S. (who rarely posts, but who is an astute statistician), sent the following: Some interesting stats…

We score 1st: 11-3-0
      Opponent scores 1st: 5-4-1

Lead after 1: 9-0-0
      Trail after 1: 1-3-1

Northeastern…

NU scores 1st: 8-3-0
      NU Opp scores 1st: 2-9-2

NU leads after 1: 6-1-0
      NU trails after 1: 1-8-0

New Hampshire…

UNH scores 1st: 10-1-0
      UNH Opp scores 1st: 3-7-1

UNH leads after 1: 6-0-0
      UNH trails after 1: 1-4-0

Crazy how important opening goals are and leading after 1.
      PSD

2. Yeah, without a doubt falling behind in games consistently is a recipe for big problems especially in the current Era of hockey when the defensive organizations of teams and goaltending is so sophisticated. Back in the 70s, when I was a student falling behind by 2 or even 3 goals was not such a big deal if you had some goalscorers. In 1977 the terriers erased at least 5 or 6 3 goal deficits on route to ECAC title and frozen four appearance