Game Previews, Women's Hockey

WIH returns to Hockey East play against Northeastern and Providence

Photo by Cristina Romano.

The Boston University women’s hockey team (6-7-1, 4-5-0 Hockey East) will look for consistency this weekend as it returns to Hockey East play. 

The Terriers will open the weekend with the coveted crosstown matchup against the Northeastern University Huskies (10-8-0, 6-6-0 HE) on Friday at 6 p.m. at Walter Brown Arena before taking on the Providence College Friars (5-10-0, 4-6-0 HE) at Schneider Arena on Saturday at 3 p.m. 

BU spent Thanksgiving break in the Music City, splitting its holiday weekend set of games at the Smashville Collegiate Showcase. The Terriers secured the 3-1 victory over Robert Morris on Friday before falling in the championship game, 7-2, against Minnesota State on Sunday. 

Junior forward Christina Vote got on the scoresheet for the first time this season, picking up goals in both contests and potting the game-winner on Friday. 

“Really excited for ‘Voter.’ She’s been working her butt off all year,” Watchorn said postgame. “She’s been keeping the play alive … happy for her.” 

Meanwhile, senior forward Lacey Martin continued her steady offense. The assistant captain leads the team in scoring and recorded helpers in both games to extend her point streak to six games. Martin has been a consistent producer for her team this season, recording points in 10 of her first 14 games played.  

In net, graduate goaltender Alexa Matses made 27 saves to secure the win over Robert Morris but was pulled after surrendering four goals on 28 shots through two periods of play on Sunday. Freshman Mari Pietersen earned some ice time in the game’s final 20 minutes, allowing three goals on eight shots. 

After stringing together five consecutive games without a regulation loss earlier in the season, BU has dropped five of its last seven contests. The Terriers will need to dig deep if they want to come out on top this weekend, especially against a group as defensively sound as Northeastern. 

Despite the 4-1 scoreline, BU showed a strong push in its season-opener against the Huskies on Oct. 6 and will be hungry for revenge. 

“Culture-wise, we’re excited about where we’re at, and it’s just about getting that to translate to our on-ice play,” Watchorn said. “Exciting couple of weeks coming up.” 

Three things to know about the Huskies: 

• Northeastern picked up back-to-back Hockey East wins leading up to this weekend, defeating the then No. 14 Boston College Eagles, 3-1, on Friday before putting away the Friars, 4-2, on Tuesday. 
  • In the absence of the ‘super line’s’ offensive firepower this season, junior forward Skylar Irving has led the offense with 16 points (three goals, 13 assists) through 18 games. 
  • Graduate goaltender Gwyneth Philips continues to dominate the crease, having earned every start this season while boasting a .949 save percentage and 1.23 goals-against average. 

Three things to know about the Friars:

• The Friars recently hosted the Terriers on Nov. 18 and took home the narrow 2-1 victory. 
  • Freshman forward Audrey Knapp tops Providence’s offense with seven points (five goals, two assists) over 15 games. 
  • Senior goaltender Mireille Kingsley and junior Hope Walinski have shared the net, but Walinski holds the edge with 10 starts this season. She recorded November’s win over BU and boasts two shutouts on the year.

BU will open the weekend against Northeastern on Friday at 6 p.m. at Walter Brown Arena, followed by a 3 p.m. matchup on Saturday in Providence. The Boston Hockey Blog will have full-weekend coverage, so be sure to follow along on Twitter (X) @BOShockeyblog and Instagram @boston.hockey.blog.