Game Recaps, Women's Hockey

WIH splits weekend at the Smashville Showcase

Photo by Cristina Romano.

It was a mixed weekend for the Boston University women’s hockey team in Music City for the Smashville Showcase, as the Terriers split their tournament games. 

BU opened up the round-robin strong with a 3-1 win against Robert Morris on Friday night but lost 7-2 in the second game to Minnesota State on Sunday. 

On Saturday, the Terriers had offensive production from up and down the lineup and a solid 27-save game from graduate goaltender Alexa Matses. 

“The energy was good, they brought it, and whether it was going well in the moment or not, they really were there for each other and the communication was good,” BU head coach Tara Watchorn said postgame on Saturday. 

Sunday’s loss was BU’s worst of the year, and came against a team with 10 losses on the season. 

“Obviously not the outcome we wanted today or were working for but I think we’re at that point of the season where we can make adjustments and learn from this moment,” Watchorn said following Sunday’s loss. 

At the end of the weekend, BU stands below the .500 mark once again, indicative of the up and down season the team has had so far. 

“I think culture wise we’re excited about where we’re at and it’s just getting that to translate to our on-ice play,” Watchorn said. 

BU has struggled this season in finding consistency in net and in scoring the requisite amount of goals to ensure a win. 

Saturday’s win represented a lot of the offensive potential for the team, with three different Terriers scoring early to give BU a comfortable 3-0 lead after the first period. The strong start early for BU was something the team had been looking to improve upon in recent games. 

Senior forward Catherine Foulem opened scoring on a shorthanded goal past the halfway point of the first. Foulem got the puck in the neutral zone from sophomore forward Luisa Welcke, then beat out two Robert Morris defenders to give the Terriers a 1-0 lead. 

BU padded the lead further with goals from junior forward Christina Vote and freshman forward Ella Huntley – her first collegiate tally. 

Photo by Cristina Romano.

Huntley scored 27 seconds after Vote, firing a puck from the right circle which snuck past the stick of Robert Morris’ goalie Emma Gorski. 

“It’s been fun to see the energy that [Huntley] has brought to the team, she’s been in the lineup for the last few games and she just brings a spark every time she’s on the ice,” Watchorn said Saturday. 

Alexa Matses made good on her last two starts where she had let in a cumulative seven goals, holding the Robert Morris Colonials to only one goal. 

“Alexa played great today, her glove calms the entire rink every time she makes a save and she’s really coming into her own, she’s communicating well, she’s being a leader back there, she’s coming out to play puck, she kept us in it today,” Watchorn said.

Sunday’s loss against the Minnesota State Mavericks told the opposite side of the story for the first half of the Terriers’ season, where they surrendered an insurmountable amount of goals. 

Through the first 20, the Terriers looked solid with 10 saves from Matses to keep the game scoreless. BU had a brief 1-0 lead in the second, with Vote tipping on a shot by senior Lacey Martin on the power play five minutes into the period. 

Shortly after, the Terriers let in an avalanche of scoring from Minnesota State. The Mavericks scored four times in seven minutes, exiting for the second intermission with a 4-1 lead over BU. 

Freshman netminder Mari Pietersen came in for Matses to begin the third period, but less than two minutes into the period, sophomore Maverick forward Whitney Tuttled scored a shorthanded goal to give Minnesota State a 5-1 lead. 

Photo by Cristina Romano.

Two minutes later, freshman forward Kamryn Van Batavia scored the sixth goal for the Mavericks. This one garnered a response from the Terriers, with sophomore defender Brooke Disher scoring off the assist from freshman forward Jackson Kinsler. 

On the offensive production of her defenders, Watchorn said “I thought her and all of our D had an amazing game today.”

Another goal late in the third from senior forward Sydney Langseth on the power play added the cherry on top for a Minnesota State blowout. 

Watchorn said postgame that there was “lots to learn from” the loss on Sunday. 

“Exciting couple weeks coming up, getting back to play Northeastern and see where we’re at in Hockey East.” 

The Terriers will next take on Northeastern Huskies at Walter Brown Arena Friday night. Puck drop is scheduled for 6p.m. and the Boston Hockey Blog will have full coverage so be sure to follow along on Twitter (X) @BOShockeyblog and Instagram @boston.hockey.blog.