Off-Ice News

UMass Lowell’s Dillan Bentley receives one-game suspension after hit on Macklin Celebrini

UMass Lowell sophomore forward Dillan Bentley has been suspended for one game after a hit to the head on Boston University freshman forward Macklin Celebrini, Hockey East announced Monday morning. 

The hit on Celebrini occurred at 1:13 of the first period in BU’s 6-1 win Saturday against the River Hawks at Agganis Arena.

Bentley will be ineligible to play in the first game of Lowell’s series against Merrimack on Wednesday, Nov. 15, and will return to the lineup for the second game on Saturday, Nov. 18, according to a Hockey East press release. 

Bentley has one goal and five points in 10 games played this season with the River Hawks. 

The decision comes after comments from BU head coach Jay Pandolfo following Saturday’s game, which singled out the hit on Celebrini. 

“It’s got to stop with these head hits. They’re unnecessary. He was already down along the boards and a guy hits him. This is the stuff that can’t happen in this game,” Pandolfo said. 

Pandolfo also criticized the lack of response from officiating in protecting Celebrini, and other players, from unnecessary hits. 

“The players can’t control that. It’s the referees that have to control that, they have to make sure these plays don’t happen,” Pandolfo said. 

1. That is a very dirty hit.