Game Recaps, Women's Hockey

WIH still looking for first win of the season after tying Syracuse 4-4

Photo by Cristina Romano.

For the third straight game, the Terriers played well above their standard from a year prior and outshot their opponent, and for the third straight game, they could not escape with a win. 

Throughout the entirety of Friday’s game, the Terriers outperformed Syracuse, leading in shots on goal throughout the contest. But in the end, Boston University left Walter Brown with a 4-4 tie, still without a win for the season. 

“Well, we put some pucks in the back of the net tonight so we’ll take that,” BU head coach Tara  Watchorn said postgame.

Despite the tie, Watchorn was proud of the offensive effort the team had. 

“I think there’s a lot to build on offensively. One of our big focuses is building momentum and putting shifts back to back and I can say that we definitely did that tonight,” Watchorn said. 

Watchorn’s focus since day one has been improving the Terriers’ offense, and it has worked thus far. But, failures on defense and a tough night for freshman goalie Mari Pietersen was what did the Terriers in Friday.

“I think we can have a little bit more attention to detail in our own zone…I think there’s definitely room for growth in that area,” Watchorn said of her defense’s performance. 

Pressure was put on BU early when Syracuse’s first two shots of the game both became goals. 

Graduate forward Darci Johal struck first for the Orange, tapping in a shot on the stickside of Mari Pietersen after the assist from sophomore forward Maya D’Arcy. 

Photo by Cristina Romano.

Syracuse scored its second off a wild shot from Rachel Teslak, who fired the puck into the back of net from all the way out on the blue line. 

The Terriers would get their first goal off a wrister from junior defender Maggie Hanzel. Despite a power play and a breakaway chance for junior forward Christina Vote, it would be their lone goal of the period. 

The Terriers evened up the game with a goal from captain Nadia Mattivi, which came off a feed from senior forward Catherine Foulem. Before the play, Foulem got the puck from Mattivi, placed it on Mattivi’s stick, who then fired it in the stickside corner of Syracuse goalie Allie Kelley’s net. 

“She’s been great,” Watchorn said about her captain’s play, after her first goal of the season. 

“It’s been fun to see her just continue to grow, and she’s really taken a step in modeling and leading the way, [it’s] always nice to see her get one and she played well today,” Watchorn said. 

Sophomore defenseman Brooke Disher got BU its first lead of the game with two minutes to go in the second period. 

Disher got the puck from sophomore forward Luisa Welcke near the blue line, skated in and to the right, before firing the puck towards the net where it ricocheted off Kelley and in. 

After two periods, the score was 3-2 and the Terriers had outshot the Orange 23-13. 

At the open of the third, Syracuse tied it once again on a goal from senior forward Tatum White. Minutes later, senior forward Lacey Martin grabbed the lead for the Terriers, shooting the puck past the glove side of Kelley after the feed from sophomore forward Clara Yuhn. 

Syracuse’s graduate defenseman Rachel Teslak scored the final goal of the contest, tying the game at 4-4 midway through the third period. 

Teslak’s goal, which she scored from standing at the right circle, put the cap on a rough night for Pietersen. Despite one goal that came off a deflection, the Orange scored off shots that had no business reaching the back of the net.

Photo by Cristina Romano.

“We’re going to hope to see continued growth from [Pietersen],” Watchorn said. 

The Terriers had a number of opportunities to win the game in regulation, including a chance to score on a penalty shot for sophomore forward Sydney Healey, but couldn’t convert. 

A scoreless overtime for both teams meant the game ended, officially, in a tie. However, the teams elected to play a shootout, which, due to NCAA regulations regarding out-of-conference play, had no real effect on the outcome of the game. 

Syracuse won the shootout after goals from White and Teslak. 

The Terriers (0-2-1) will play a second game against Syracuse (4-4-0) tomorrow, and Watchorn hopes that a change in “defensive habits” can lead to BU grabbing its first win. 

“Offensively with our transition, with changing, with possession, creating quality scoring chances, I think we hit our benchmarks all there. But if we can clean up our defensive habits, we’re just gonna have the puck that much more,” Watchorn said. 

Puck drop for Saturday’s game at Walter Brown Arena is set for 3pm. The Boston Hockey Blog will have full coverage, so be sure to follow along on Twitter (X) @BOShockeyblog and Instagram @boston.hockey.blog.