Off-Ice News, Women's Hockey

Three freshmen to watch for BU’s women’s hockey team

Mari Pietersen in net against Northeastern. Photo by Gracie Davenport.

Along with the new face sitting on the bench for Boston University this season, head coach Tara Watchorn, there are also several exciting new freshman additions on the ice. 

This year’s freshman class adds five new Terriers to the roster. The group is comprised of four forwards and one new goalie. 

Here’s what to expect from three of the most highly-anticipated first-year players on this year’s roster.

Alex Law – F

Alex Law — a native of Whitby, Ontario — served as the assistant captain on Canada’s gold-medal winning team in the U-18 world championships, a tournament where Tara Watchorn served on the coaching staff for Team Canada. Law was one of the main pieces on that team, earning seven points over four games. 

Law has spent the last few years playing on the Durham West Lightning Jr team in the OWHL U22, scoring 14 goals in her previous two seasons. 

Law plays on BU Women’s Lacrosse team and won a gold medal in the World Lacrosse Tournament while serving as captain. 

Alex Law in her first game at Walter Brown Arena. Photo by Gracie Davenport.

Jackson Kinsler – F

Jackson Kinsler played on the 2023 USA Hockey championship-winning Shattuck St-Mary’s team, giving the Sabres 30 points in 58 games played last season. 

Before that, she spent two seasons with the East Coast Wizards 19U team in Weymouth, MA. 

While growing up in Madison, Wisconsin, Kinsler spent time playing for Team Wisconsin and played on boys’ hockey teams.

Mari Pietersen – G

Adding to a group of talented goalies on the Terriers’ women’s squad is Mari Pietersen from Goodwood, Ontario. Pietersen was the starter for the gold medal-winning 2022 IIHF U18 World Championship with Team Canada, posting a 1.32 GAA and a .938 save percentage in the tournament. 

In her last two seasons, while playing for Etobicoke Dolphins in the OWHL U22, Pietersen posted a stat line of a 1.42 and 1.93 GAA in 21/22 and 22/23, respectively. 

She was a gold medalist again in the Provincial U22 Elite tournament with the Dolphins in 2022. 

***

These three, along with the other new additions to the roster, are adding to the hype of this new era of BU women’s hockey.