Game Previews, Women's Hockey

Ranking the five most important BU women’s hockey games of 2023-24

Photo by Hui-En (Benson) Lin.

Boston University’s women’s ice hockey team is seeking to have a strong season to begin the tenure of new head coach Tara Watchorn. 

In that season, the team has a schedule filled with exciting matchups against top-teams within their conference and outside. Here are the five most important games of the season for your Terriers. 

No. 5: Nov 24-26 in Nashville Robert Morris, Minnesota State 

The Terriers are set to play two out-of-conference games against Robert Morris and Minnesota State at the Smashville Showcase in Nashville near Thanksgiving. These showcase series have become a yearly tradition for the team, who played last year in the Henderson Hockey Showcase against Yale and Penn State in Nevada. 

Minnesota State had a 15-20-1 record last year, finishing sixth in a crowded conference which includes Ohio State and Wisconsin. Robert Morris just this year reinstated its Division-1 Hockey programs after not playing in the 2022-23 season. 

No. 4: Dec. 9 vs Providence

BU will be looking for its first win against Providence since Halloween of 2021 in this early December matchup. Last year the Friars beat the Terriers twice and tied in another meeting.  

Providence was ranked No. 14 in the preseason poll from USCHO and is expected to be a major contender within Hockey East. 

The Friars will have somewhat of a new look this season after losing their top two goal scorers, Sara Hjalmarsson and Noemi Neubauerova. Nevertheless, this first game against Providence will be another early test for the Terriers. 

No. 3: Jan. 16 vs Boston College (Beanpot Semifinals)

The Battle of Comm Ave will be played in the Beanpot Semifinals for both of BU’s hockey teams this season. The women’s team will open up their hunt for the trophy against Boston College in the first round. 

This year’s Beanpot will be especially significant given that it’s the first year in which the consolation and championship round will be played at TD Garden. 

Jan. 16 will be the second of four meetings between BU and BC this season and will be an opportunity for Tara Watchorn to make a splash in the Beanpot tournament. 

No. 2: Jan. 19-20 vs Vermont

Vermont is another highly ranked in-conference foe for the Terriers this season. 

The Catamounts will visit Boston for a two-game series in between rounds of the women’s Beanpot. BU went 2-1 in the season series against UVM last season, including a memorable overtime 2-1 victory at home which was the fifth game in a midseason unbeaten streak for the Terriers.

Expect an increased presence from senior forward Natálie Mlynková who last season was second in points with 42 and first in goals with 23 for the Catamounts. 

No. 1: Oct. 6 vs Northeastern

Tara Watchorn’s first game as head coach of the Terriers may be her biggest of the year when BU takes on the cream of the Hockey East crop, Northeastern, at home on Oct. 6. 

The Huskies’ offense will look a lot different this year after losing the members of their famed “super line” from last year. Despite that, Northeastern is ranked fifth nationally and expected to be a shoe-in for the best team in the conference. 

A win against Northeastern on opening night at Walter Brown Arena would be one of the biggest in years for the Terriers and would support the high expectations for BU this season.

This article is part of the 2023-2024 printed “Hockey Issue” that will be available on campus Oct. 27 and at opening night at Agganis Arena.