Off-Ice News

Letter from the Captain: Domenick Fensore

The following letter was written by senior captain  Domenick Fensore. The defenseman had 31 points this season and signed a two-year, entry-level contract with the Carolina Hurricanes. 
Photo by Caroline Fernandez

Dear Terrier Nation and Boston University,

To start off, I would like to say that having the opportunity to be a Terrier the last four seasons has been such an honor and a dream for me. Growing up going to BU games, I always wanted to throw on the scarlet and white jersey and be a part of the great tradition here. There have been so many people at this university that have impacted my life and I really can’t thank them enough.

First to the BU Band and BU Dogpound, you guys have been our heartbeat for this program. I remember my first home game at Agganis. I got goosebumps from the band playing and the crowd cheering. To be able to play in front of the best band and fans in college hockey the last four seasons has been nothing short of amazing. Your commitment to our team is absolutely amazing to see and I can’t thank you guys enough for all the support. 

To my teammates, thank you guys for coming to the rink and competing every single day this season. The mindset and standards we had on our team this season led to our success and it shows how committed we were to each other. Throughout my four seasons at BU, I was fortunate to have played on some great teams and got to witness many great leaders. I am so proud to be a Terrier, but I am really more proud to be able to be a Terrier with all my teammates. The friendships, memories, and moments that I’ve created over my time at BU will last forever and that’s what playing for Boston University is all about. You guys have meant a lot to me and I am really going to miss everyone. Can’t wait to see what each of you guys do in the future. 

To all my coaches over my time at BU. First to Albie O’Connell, Paul Pearl, and Lenny Quesnelle I really appreciate everything you guys have done for me. You guys recruited me to BU and have made me become a better hockey player and person. I can’t thank you guys enough for giving me the opportunity to be a Terrier. Next to Jay Pandolfo, Kim Brandvold, Joe Periera, and Doug Friedman you guys were all role models for me from the first day we met. You guys taught me so much about the game of hockey, being a leader, and pushing my teammates to be better. I really appreciate everything that you guys have done for me in my Senior year. This last year was so special and it started with you guys being great leaders and role models for everyone on our team. I do want to give a special shout out to Jay Pandolfo because he is truly one of the most knowledgeable coaches I have ever played for. Not only does he have passion for the game of hockey, he is so dedicated to his players and to everyone around Boston University. It was an honor to play for him in my final year at BU and can’t thank him enough for what he has done for me. 

To our strength coach Ken Whittier, you have been one of the heartbeats of this team. Someone I really looked up to because of the way you came to the rink everyday prepared and ready to go. You were willing to do anything for us and kept us on our toes at all times. You can really see the passion you have for what you do and that was something I saw from day one. Thanks for everything you have done for this team Ken. 

To our Athletic Trainer Larry Venis and our equipment managers Mike Scire and Mike DiMella, I can’t thank you guys enough for all you have done for myself and this team. We appreciate all you guys so much and you three bring smiles to our faces every single day. Our team is really fortunate to have the best coaching staff and support staff in the country. Thank you guys for everything!

To my class, I remember coming into summer school back in 2019 meeting all you guys for the first time and knowing that this group of 13 players was going to be special. I know we have lost and added guys along the way but I am so honored and humbled to be able to say that we will be friends forever. Throughout the four years we have been through so much together. Covid years, ups and downs, a coaching change, and through all that we came closer together and built a bond. I truly believe that our class has had such an impact on this program from the first day we came here till our last game in Tampa. We set a standard this season and it was amazing to see each of us play a significant part of that. We led as a group and that is what I am most proud of. A Beanpot championship, Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and a Frozen Four appearance. We will be connected forever and I am proud to be able to have experienced it with you guys. 

Lastly to this year’s team, I want to thank you guys for making my final season at BU so memorable. We had such a special group of talented players on the ice, but off the ice we really had a special bond that will last a lifetime. We accomplished so much together as a team that we will walk together forever. To be able to be the Captain of this team has meant the world to me and something I don’t take lightly. To be able to lead with so many other great leaders is something I will remember forever. I know we didn’t get the whole thing, but what a season it was. With that being said, I can’t wait to see what the future holds for this program because I know it is very bright. Thank you boys for everything. I love each and everyone of you. 

Once a Terrier Always a Terrier 

Go BU!

Sincerely,

Domenick Fensore 

1. Awesome letter great young man wish him the best

2. Dear Domenick,our hearts are exploding with pride!! You are a wonderful young man on and off the ice!! We love you,Grandma Marta and Grandpa Vincent Fensore.

3. Class gentleman from a class family! PSD

4. To me, you go down as one of the best terrier captains of all time. I put you right up there with Patrick curry and Tommy Degerman and many other leaders.