Off-Ice News

Drew Commesso signs NHL contract with Chicago

Photo by Caroline Fernandez

No. 29 is off to the show.

Per NBC Sports Chicago, after three seasons with Boston University, junior goaltender Drew Commesso has signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Chicago Blackhawks. Commesso was selected by the Blackhawks in the second round of the 2020 draft. 

Since his rookie year as a Terrier, Commesso has been a foundation to BU’s success and a leader on and off the ice, wearing the “A” throughout the 2022-2023 campaign. 

In a total of 73 games played, Commesso posted a 2.57 goals-against-average and .914 save percentage. The Norwell, Mass native played some of his best hockey this past month, carrying BU to a conference and regional title. 

Commesso shined in the Hockey East playoffs and proved his ability to lock-in on big stages. Through those three postseason games, the netminder garnered a 2.00 goals-against-average and .924 save-percentage. 

The Terriers’ trip to the Frozen Four in Tampa was in large part due to Commesso’s excellence between the pipes, especially in the Manchester Regional where he allowed a collective two goals against tough opponents. 

Beyond the statistics, Commesso’s pride for the program and meticulous work ethic will headline his legacy on Comm Ave –– he was part of the group that reset the standard for BU hockey. 

Commesso will now get a shot in the big leagues, joining former-Terrier Alex Vlasic in the Windy City. 

1. any sense of who will replace him?

vinnie D entered the portal

• Talk about the goalie from Brown transferring . It’s a shame that Vinnie’s leaving. He played well for us. Commesso certainly went out on a roll. He played well in the last 2 tournaments. TK out!