Off-Ice News, Women's Hockey

Tara Watchorn announced as head coach of Women’s Hockey

By James Garrison
Boston University women's hockey assistant Watchorn tabbed first coach for Stonehill, which will start NEWHA play in '22-23 - College Hockey | USCHO.com
Photo by Richard T Gagnon

The Boston University women’s hockey team announced in a press release Monday morning that Tara Watchorn has been hired as the second head coach in program history. Watchorn will be succeeding coaching legend Brian Durocher, who announced his retirement on Feb. 15. 

The Ontario native played four seasons on Comm. Ave, where she recorded 84 points in 127 points as a defender. Watchorn also coached alongside Durocher for four seasons (2017-2021), where the Terriers amassed a 65-39-18 record, including the teams’ second Beanpot in 2019, and first since 1981. 

In her time as a player, Watchorn was named a Hockey East and New England All-Star twice and won two Hockey East titles with the Terriers. 

“This is a great day for BU Athletics,” said Marrochello in the release. “Tara has already built an impressive legacy as a Terrier, and we could not be happier to welcome her back as the leader of a new era for our women’s ice hockey program.”

Watchorn spent two years as the head coach of Stonehill College, with a record of 17-15-2 in the 2022-23 season. Watchorn also spent time coaching and playing on the international stage for Team Canada, where she won a Gold Medal at Sochi in 2014. 

Watchorn played five seasons of professional women’s hockey in the CWHL for the Alberta Honeybadgers, Calgary Inferno and Boston Blades. Across those five seasons, Watchorn totaled 39 points in 85 games before her retirement in 2017. 

“Tara quickly emerged as a top candidate for this job,” Marrochello added in the release. “With each conversation we had with her, it became clear that her coaching experience at BU, Stonehill and internationally with Hockey Canada has allowed her to build a confident vision and plan for BU hockey.”

More to come on a developing story.

1. Delighted! Having observed her as an elite player, and as a very effective assistant coach under Brian, she is bringing a plethora of talents and abilities. Class replacing class! PSD