Off-Ice News

NCAA selection night, BU to face Western Michigan

By Mark Fraenkel 
Photo by Caroline Fernandez

After defeating the Merrimack College Warriors in the Hockey East Championship, the Boston University men’s hockey team (27-10-0, 18-6-0 Hockey East) will head to Manchester, New Hampshire on Thursday afternoon for the first round of the NCAA Tournament against the Western Michigan Broncos.  

“I think, first thing is being in Manchester helps us. It’s, you know, a 50 minute, hour ride so that certainly helps us,” BU head coach Jay Pandolfo told the media gaggle after the announcement. “We go in there and practice on Wednesday and be ready to go. So we’re looking forward to it.”

“It’s pretty exciting,” senior captain Domenick Fensore said. “We’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time. So obviously, was a big win yesterday and I know the guys are getting ready to go after it Thursday in Manchester.”

After winning the Lamoriello Trophy at the TD Garden on Saturday night, the Terriers earned an automatic bid into the 16-team single elimination national tournament. Celebrating at Agganis Arena on Sunday evening, BU found they’re the number two seed in the Manchester regional.

Freshman forward Lane Hutson was the hero on Saturday night and he’s excited for the opportunity to continue playing.

“We’re all excited,” the Hockey East Rookie of the Year said. “We got a great group here and I’m just going to be excited to play some more playoff hockey.”

Pandolfo believes that the last two games being high pressure situations will help the team going forward. 

“I think just you know coming off this weekend playing in the Hockey East Championships out at the Garden,” Pandolfo said. “There’s some pressure they’re also coming from behind in both games. There’s pressure there as well. So I think our guys are ready for that and they’ll be ready on Thursday.”

Pandolfo also addressed the injuries suffered during the Hockey East tournament.

“[Senior defenseman Case McCarthy is] a huge loss for us. He’s been a steady presence back there all year long,” Pandolfo said. “He’s a leader. He’s been here four years. Knows what it takes to win but you know, we have depth on our team. So it’s up to the next guy to be ready to get in there and help us out.”

The winner of the Terriers-Broncos game will face the winner of the match up between the Denver Pioneers and the Cornell Big Red. The Pioneers are the one seed in the region and the overall number four seed.

Puck drop is set for 2:00pm on Thursday in Manchester. The Boston Hockey Blog will have full, on the ground coverage so be sure to follow along on Twitter @BOShockeyblog and Instagram @boston.hockey.blog.

1. not a bad draw for the terriers. none of the potential opponents won their league tourneys, only BU did. also we’ve already beaten cornell this year, i game i attended with , who else, hutsy winning it with 3 seconds on the clock left. also think the western teams will arrive to manchester tired

2. from what i have heard, WM has a high powered offense, but defensively they are not as strong. not sure which team that favors. certainly i have concerns about our depleted defense, but maybe offensively we can light it up

3. yeah Vinne both teams have high powered offenses and i think that will favor the Terriers. BU can probably outscore most teams in the nation. While you feel bad for the injured players who can’t take part the Terriers have shown they are a fairly deep team even defensively and of course they have a hot goalie at the moment. Don’t know much about Denver except that they are defending champions and have won 30 games so they must be very good. However even their championship last year was somewhat of an upset at the Gahden. Cornell will not be any pushover for them either. I’m just happy that we , were ranked high enough to avoid Quinnipiac ( who could give us real problems with the style they play), and Minnesota. Its better to face them later in the Frozen 4 if the Terriers get there.

4. Having skoooooog back from suspension is huge for the dogs. BU wins by 2