Opinions

Alumni Report: Terriers shining in the NHL

By Mark Fraenkel 
Photos courtesy of NHL

With the National Hockey League currently at the All-Star break, here’s a look at some Terrier storylines from the first half of the NHL season.

The Commonwealth Avenue to Causeway Street Connection

Like the university as a whole, the Terriers are well represented in Boston. Charlie Coyle, Matt Grzelcyk, Charlie McAvoy and A.J. Greer are all playing key roles for the Bruins.

Jim Montgomery’s team currently leads the league with 83 points. Grzelcyk is second on the team in plus-minus with a +31 rating. The Charlestown, Massachusetts native along with his father John, a TD Garden employee, was honored by the Beanpot Committee ahead of the 2023 tournament.

McAvoy has been essential to the Bruins’ power play success this season. The defenseman has 16 power play points so far this season.  

Coyle has found the back of the net 11 times this season. The former first-round pick scored on Jan. 28 against the Florida Panthers.

All Chips In: Eichel Helping The Golden Knights

Former BU superstar Jack Eichel is a huge component in the success of the Vegas Golden Knights this season. The Golden Knights are currently in third place in the Pacific Division behind the Seattle Kraken and the Los Angeles Kings. 

The North Chelmsford, Massachusetts native is currently third on the team in goal scoring, with 15 tallies. 

Zegras, The Bright Spot For Struggling Anaheim Team

Over in Anaheim, Trevor Zegras is having a phenomenal season. The center leads the Ducks in goals (18) and points (42). In their most recent game, Zegras scored with 1:26 left in overtime to lift Anaheim over Arizona.

After the all-star break, the Ducks will return to action on the road against the Dallas Stars. The matchup will feature two BU alumni, as Dallas’ Jake Oettinger played for the Terriers between 2016 and 2019. Oettinger’s team is currently leading the Central Division. 

The BU Contribution In San Jose

The San Jose Sharks have Terriers spread throughout the organization. The Sharks’ general manager, Mike Grier, played for the legendary Jack Parker at BU. Alum and former head coach David Quinn is now the bench boss in northern California. Last but not least, center Nick Bonino is having a great season for himself. 

The NHL veteran is close to matching most of his numbers from last year with about half of the season remaining. The Hartford, Connecticut native has lit the lamp nine times and has eight assists this season. In the 2021-2022 campaign, he scored 16 times and had ten assists in 80 games played.

Welcome To The Show Mr. Bowers

Back in November, Shane Bowers became the 92nd BU alum to make his NHL debut. Playing for the Colorado Avalanche, Bowers hit professional ice for the first time against the Nashville Predators. 

The game against the Predators was the only NHL action the 2017 Ottawa Senators’ first-round pick has gotten thus far this season.