Game Recaps, Women's Hockey

Terriers swept by Providence in 4-1 loss

Photo by Hui-En (Benson) Lin

After falling short to the No. 12 Providence College Friars (9-2-1, 6-1-1 Hockey East) at home on Friday night, the Boston University women’s hockey team (3-7-0, 2-6-0 HE) couldn’t get themselves out of a deficit after a slow start to the game. The Terriers struggled to make offensive plays through the opening 20 minutes of play and spent the first period almost entirely in their own zone in a shut-down game dominated by the Friars.

The Friars came out fast, scoring their first goal at 1:28 of the opening frame. A shot from the point by freshman forward Mégan Quirion rebounded off of the pad of graduate netminder Andrea Brändli, making way for senior forward Delaney Couture to shovel the puck to the back of the net. The next 18 minutes featured much of the same, as the Friars picked up pucks and smothered Terrier chances at even clearing the zone.

The one bright spot of the period came at 8:02 when third-year forward Catherine Foulem scored on the rush. Graduate forward Jesse DeVito pushed the momentum in her squad’s favor to start a three-on-two for the Terriers, and Foulem’s shot from between the circles tied the game at one. Foulem broke the ice last night to give the Terriers an early lead and with the goal on Saturday, she earned her second point in as many games. The goal for the Terriers in the first was their only shot in over ten minutes.

Providence continued to dominate and shut down any BU chances and quickly took back the lead five minutes after the Foulem goal. Freshman forward Reichen Kirchmair’s bullet from the slot flew over Brändli’s left shoulder and into the back of the net for a 2-1 lead. Kirchmair’s goal was her eighth of the season for her tenth point in just 12 games.

The rest of the first frame saw opportunities for the Friars on both the power play and penalty kill. The Terriers had a pretty strong power play and were able to generate some momentum, but the Friars almost netted a third down a player.

An almost scoreless second period showed a shift in the Terriers’ compete level through a much more balanced 20 minutes of play. After starting the period down a player on the tail end of a high-sticking call from senior forward Julia Nearis, the scarlet and white turned on the gas and ended the period leading in shots on goal with 13 to the Friars’ 11. 

Junior defenseman Madison Cardaci saw BU’s best chance of the day when she went one-on-one with Providence’s graduate goaltender Sandra Abstreiter who ultimately made the save.

With just under four minutes in the middle section of play, senior blueliner Lauren DeBlois added another tally for her group from the top of the right circle. DeBlois’ shot rang off the post and over Brändli’s shoulder to add some comfort to the Friars’ lead. 

The third period saw more of the same as the teams skated back and forth to exchange shots and opportunities. A frustrated freshman defenseman Brooke Disher tried to carry her team through the third, but Providence continued to push the clock. 

With under ten minutes of play in the game, the Friars sealed the deal with graduate forward Hunter Barnett’s poke-in goal from the crease. Barnett’s original shot bounced off of Brändli’s shoulder and came down just behind her, leaving space for Barnett to get the final touch for a comfortable three goal lead.

After the Barnett goal, junior defenseman Tamara Giaquinto was sent to the box on a tripping call, but Brändli and the blueliners stood tall to keep the score as it was. With two minutes to play, the Terriers went back on the man-advantage when Barnett earned her own penalty for slashing. Despite solid efforts from Disher and senior captain Nadia Mattivi, the scoresheet remained the same as the clock wound down.

After demonstrating a higher level of compete the night before, the Terriers slow first period dug them a hole they couldn’t get out of. The second and third periods showed that the team can play, now they just need to figure out a way to get to their game earlier.

BU will next head north to Burlington for a two-game stint with the No. 13 University of Vermont Catamounts. Be sure to follow along on Instagram @boston.hockey.blog and Twitter @BOShockeyblog for full coverage of your Terrier teams.