Opinions

A Look Around Hockey East

By Mark Fraenkel

College hockey had a busy third week of the season –– here are the recent major storylines.  

No. 13/14 UMass Defeats Nation’s Best Denver 4-2

Less than one minute into the first game, UMass’s Cal Kiefiuk received a five minute major. But on that long Denver power play, UMass would score two short handed goals as they upset the Pioneers.

On Saturday, it was Scott Morrow and Matt Koopman with goals and Cal Kiefiuk would add an empty netter in UMass’s 3-0 win.

Conference Sees Mixed Results In 6 Games Against BIG 10

UMass Lowell splits on the road with Michigan State 

In Lansing, Michigan, three unanswered goals in the first period would help the Michigan State Spartans beat Lowell 4-3 on Thursday. The next day, goals from Owen Cole, Carl Berglund, and Jon McDonald would prove pivotal in UML’s 3-2 win.

UConn Ties And Beats Ohio State In Two Game Series

In Hartford on Friday night, UConn’s Logan Terness made 43 saves in a 0-0 tie against Ohio State.

The next night, the Huskies would dominate the Buckeyes. BU transfer Ty Amonte scored two goals while Jake Flynn, Jake Percival, and Mattew Wood each added goals in a 6-1 win over the visitors from Columbus.

No. 9 BU Splits At No. 6 Michigan

Michigan welcomed the Terriers to Yost by scoring six early goals en route to a 9-2 victory. 

The next night got off to a different start. After trailing by both 1-0 and 2-1 Michigan leads, Domenick Fensore and Matt Brown each scored power play goals in the second period to ensure BU left Ann Arbor with a split.

No. 7/ 8 Northeastern Falls to No. 15 Providence College; Rebounds Against BC

On Saturday night, Providence College beat previously undefeated Northeastern 2-1.

“I thought they played a really smart road game,” Northeastern head coach Jerry Keefe said in the postgame press conference. “They got the 2-0 lead on us. They’re a tough team to chase. I liked our team’s battle (…) I think there’s a lot that we can take from this.”

Nate Leaman’s Providence team entered a packed Matthews Arena after beating Clarkson 5-2 the night before.

After dominating shots on goal throughout the period, Riley Duran punched in Brady Berard’s wrap-around past Devon Levy to give the Providence Friars a 1-0 lead. The Bruins’ prospect’s goal with 8:31 to play in the first period was his fourth tally of the young season.

Providence’s Patrick Moynihan blasted one home to give the road team a 2-0 lead during a Hunter McDonald five minute major for hitting-from-behind and game misconduct midway through the second period,

“You know, it was disappointing because we were really building momentum,” Keefe said. “You know, I thought our guys sold out for each other and had some huge blocks.”.

With 6:32 to play in the second period, on a Northeastern power play, Gunnarwolfe Fontaine lifted the puck past Philip Svedeback to cut the Friars lead in half.

With 12:49 to play in the third period, Providence’s Jaroslav Chmelar was sent to the penalty box for interference. Despite Northeastern having some quality chances, Providence was able to kill the power play.

After the big win in Boston, Providence will head to Denver for two games against the Pioneers next weekend.

The Huskies had a quick turnaround following the loss to the Friars, as they hosted Boston College on Tuesday. Due to a complication in the schedule, the Huskies and Eagles played each other in a game that did not count in the Hockey East standings. 

On Tuesday, BC would force Northeastern to overtime. But following the overtime, Northeastern would take the shootout win. In the record books, the game will count as a tie. The Huskies return to Matthews Arena on Saturday night when they host Norm Bazin and the UMass Lowell River Hawks.