Game Previews, Women's Hockey

BU Women’s Hockey to face UNH in home-and-home series

Following a split to start the season, the Boston University women’s hockey team (1-1-0, 0-0-0 HE) will head up to Durham for a home and home with the University of New Hampshire Wildcats (1-4-0, 0-2-0 HE). 

The Wildcats are coming into the series with more games under their belt, but are coming off three straight losses against Quinnipiac and Hockey East opponents in the University of Maine Blackbears. The Terriers have yet to start their Hockey East play, but secured a 4-0 win against RPI in their home opener before falling to Union the next day in a 3-1 loss. 

The forward group of Wildcats has led the way to start with junior Brianna Brooks, sophomore Shea Verrier, and graduate student Emily Pinto creating the majority of UNH production. The Whitby, Ontario native currently has four assists in five games, followed by Verrier’s three goals, and Pinto’s three assists for four, three, and three points respectively. 

At the helm of UNH’s leadership core is graduate student and captain Ava Boutilier. The goaltender is going into her sixth season for the wildcats following two redshirt seasons. Boutilier holds the record for saves, is third in save percentage, and fourth in minutes. To start the season Boutilier posts a .916 save percentage and a 3.28 goals against average, but her career record is .925 sv % and 2.26GAA.

On the other end of the sheet, the Terriers are coming in with just two games under their belts. BU has seen contributions from across the board, with point leaders coming from freshmen and seniors alike. Clara Yuhn, forward from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, recorded her first two collegiate goals against RPI. Joining Yuhn with two points in two games is senior Brooke Ersoy and freshman Sydney Healey each with one goal and one assist. 

Senior leadership from Nadia Mattivi and Lacey Martin is manifesting itself in shots so far, with the two posting 12 and 14 shots, respectively. Shot production was a topic Mattivi had highlighted as a team goal heading into the season, and it seems like the offensive production from the leadership has moved its way down the chain.

In net for the Terriers will likely be either graduate student Andrea Brändli or sophomore Callie Shanahan, who have split the crease so far. In her 60 minutes of play, Brändli has a perfect save percentage after making 19 saves. Shanahan boasts a .914 save percentage and 3.07 GAA after facing 32 shots in one game.

The Terriers will head north to Durham on Friday for puck drop at 7:00pm in the Whittemore center, before heading back to Walter Brown for a 3:00pm matinee with coverage coming on Twitter @BOSHockeyBlog and on Instagram @boston.hockey.blog.