Game Previews

This Season’s Biggest Games

By Mark Fraenkel

Photo by Belle Fraser

This article is part of the 2022-2023 printed “Hockey Edition” that will be available on campus Friday, Sept. 30 and at both men’s and women’s opening nights. Be sure to get your copy!

The 101st Boston University men’s hockey season opens up on Oct. 1 at Agganis Arena when the Terriers face Bentley University. Following this matchup, the schedule features some high-quality and non-traditional games in Coach Pandolfo’s first year at the helm.

In the third weekend of the season, the Terriers will head to Ann Arbor, Michigan for two games against a perennial powerhouse in college hockey. The Michigan Wolverines won the BIG 10 and were a Frozen Four team one year ago.  With interim head coach Brandon Naurato behind the bench for the Maize and Blue, the mid-October series will be a tough test for BU. 

As you prepare your Thanksgiving turkey, Notre Dame will come to Agganis Arena. Coming off of a 28-12 season one year ago, the Fighting Irish also won a game in the NCAA tournament. Jeff Jackson’s team will spend the holiday in Boston, as they will play Boston College on Black Friday.

The Terriers are scheduled to play archrival Boston College three times throughout the season. BU will travel to Chestnut Hill on Dec. 9 and Jan. 28 when the Eagles will come to Agganis Arena. Greg Brown replacing the legendary Jerry York begins a new era of rivalry, as for the first time in decades, neither Jerry York nor Jack Parker will be playing or coaching in the Battle of Comm Ave. 

During intermission, BU will head to Arizona to play in the Desert Hockey Classic. The first game in the classic will be against the United States Air Force Academy. The Terriers will then play either Arizona State or Michigan Tech. Should BU play Arizona State, former Terrier Robert Mastrosimone will be on the ice facing his old squad in Tempe.

On Jan. 14, BU will host Cornell at Agganis Arena with the Big Red return of Ben Berard, their leading scorer from a year ago. While there’s no Red Hot Hockey this season, the two teams will still get the chance to face off. 

BU will attempt to defend its title in the Beanpot starting on Feb. 6. In the 70th Beanpot, the Terriers face Northeastern at the TD Garden. Depending on the result, they will play either Harvard or Boston College in the next round, hoping to add another trophy to the shelves. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

The BU women’s hockey season begins on Sep. 7 against the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The exciting dates for the team start almost immediately off the bat.

In the third weekend of the season, the Terriers will have a home-and-home series with the Boston College Eagles. Coach Brian Durocher’s team will travel to Chestnut Hill on Friday the 21st. The Eagles will visit Walter Brown Arena the next day to continue the Battle of Comm Ave. 

Over the Thanksgiving break, BU will head to Nevada for the Vegas Showcase. On Friday, Nov. 25, the team will face Yale. Depending on the result, the Terriers will next play either Penn State or Minnesota –– some big out-of-league games to test their depth two months into the season. 

On a date around Jan. 6 –– the official game day has yet to be announced –– BU will travel down the road to Fenway Park for an outdoor matchup with the Holy Cross Crusaders in the return of Frozen Fenway. The outdoor competition will no doubt be a highlight of the 2022-2023 campaign. 

The Terriers are set to play the Northeastern Huskies four times this season. BU will play against the local foe for the first time on Jan. 8 at Matthews Arena. Northeastern is a favorite to win Hockey East and compete for a national championship.

Then, about one month later, the Terriers will play rival Northeastern in the first round of the 44th Women’s Beanpot. BU closes out its schedule with a home-and-home with Northeastern on the weekend of Feb. 17. 

Make sure to follow all the Terrier action with us this season on Twitter (@BOShockeyblog) and Instagram (@boston.hockey.blog).

1. what is the date of the notRE dame game?