Game Previews, Women's Hockey

Terriers, Crusaders set to face off for first game of Women’s Hockey Season

Kaleigh Donnelly skates against Merrimack College Feb 5 2021.

For the first time since March 2020, the Boston University Women’s Hockey Team will take the ice in front of a crowd. This school year, university protocols allow for the return of fans to the Terrier Hockey stands starting with the inaugural home game of the season against the Holy Cross Crusaders. 

In what was a Covid-ridden season, the Crusaders finished their last campaign  with a 4-15-1 record with victories over the University of Maine, Merrimack College, and the University of New Hampshire. Returning for their second years are point leaders Brynn Saarela and Millie Sirum, both totaling 12 points from six goals and six assists during their freshman seasons. Behind Saarela and Sirum is junior forward Mary Edmonds who totalled six points in 16 games during her second year.

Guarding the crease is Pendleton, New York Native Jada Brenon. The senior netminder started in 19 games last year posting a .901 save percentage and a 3.57 goals against average, backing the Crusaders in their four wins.

On the other end of the ice, the BU Women’s Hockey team looks to junior forwards Courtney Correia and Mackenna Parker to shape the future of Terrier Hockey, having graduated one of the most decorated Terrier Women’s Hockey All Stars in Jesse Compher last May. In 12 games, they tallied eight and six points respectively to secure the second and third spots as point leaders. Also in a new role is Wellesley, MA native Kaleigh Donnelly who will take on the “C” for her senior campaign. As an assistant captain last year, Donnelly totalled five points on one goal and four assists, two of which come as game-winners.

Like Compher, goaltender Corinne Schroeder’s graduation will leave a dent in the Terrier defense. Schroeder holds the record for goals against average and for save percentage in a season in the Terrier Women’s Hockey record books, and her absence will definitely be felt by the rest of the team. With a rocky start last year however, senior Kate Stuart seems to be a logical next-in-line for the BU net having started in five games last year, posting an impressive .942 sv% and 1.63 GAA during her junior campaign.

Despite the loss of a few big names on the Terrier roster, six freshmen and two transfers will add some much-needed depth with three forwards, three defensemen and one goalie. Graduate transfer Ellie Larson captained the Rochester Institute of Technology Tigers her senior year after serving as an assistant captain the year before, leading the team in blocked shots. Joining Larson on the blueline is first year Maggie Hanzel with an impressive high school career. While captaining the squad her junior and senior years, Hanzel totalled 44 points (17g, 27a) in 30 games and 38 points (20g, 18a) in 20 games, respectively.

The last time the teams met, the Terriers won 5-2, and in their last six matchups, the Terriers consistently came out on top. The inaugural game of the 2021-22 season will take place on Saturday, September 25 at 3pm at Walter Brown Arena.

1. Looking forward to seeing BUWIH in person when I come up for Alumni Weekend next weekend!

2. always looking for the next Poulin and Wakefield