Game Previews, Women's Hockey

Women’s Hockey Preview: BU vs UConn Dec. 5

Kristina Schuler takes on UConn’s Morgan Fisher Feb. 22 2020 in a 3-1 win. Photo by Caroline Fernandez

The Boston University Women’s Hockey team (1-1-0 Hockey East) is set to play the University of Connecticut Huskies (0-3-1 HE) this Friday. 

The Terriers are coming off a series against the University of New Hampshire (1-3-0 HE) earning a win and a loss in their first two games of the season.

The UConn Huskies finished just above .500 in Hockey East play last season with an overall record of 13-12-2 HE, but concluded their season in the Hockey East Championship, ultimately falling to Northeastern University.

Leading the Huskies so far this season is senior forward Savannah Bouzide. With five points (5g) in four games, Bouzide sits seventh in Hockey East in points. Behind Bouzide is freshman forward Jada Habisch who tallied two assists against Boston College Dec 4. 

Junior Samantha Carpentier-Yelle returns to the crease, where she posted a .939 save percentage and a 1.7 goals against average in 2019-20. The Huskies added freshman Tia Chan to the lineup this year. Chan made her collegiate debut in a tie against Providence College Nov 11. 

On the BU bench, the Terriers are heading into the game after splitting the University of New Hampshire series last week. Three Terriers lit the lamp last weekend, with sophomore forward Julia Nearis and senior captain and forward Jesse Compher scoring two goals each. Freshman forward Clare O’Leary earned her first collegiate goal and assist against the Wildcats, and defensemen Andi Calderone corralled her first assist as well.

Corinne Schroeder and Kate Stuart each started in net against the Wildcats. Schroeder allowed one goal on 18 shots in a 2-1 victory for the Terriers, while Stuart stopped 22 pucks on 26 shots in a 4-3 loss on Dec 5.

The Terriers currently boast the best penalty kill in Hockey East, having killed all six penalties. Meanwhile, the Huskies currently sit at sixth, killing just 75 percent. BU has scored just once on the man advantage, despite having six opportunities so far and leading all of Hockey East on the power play last year. Similarly, the Huskies have scored twice on 18 power plays, best for fifth in HE.

The Terriers will face the Huskies Dec. 11 at 6 p.m. in Storrs, Ct.