Off-Ice News, Uncategorized, Women's Hockey

Women’s Hockey Preview

Captain Nara Elia scores on the University of Connecticut’s Meghan Fisher during a home-and-home series. Photo by Caroline Fernandez

Boston University Women’s Hockey (2019-20: 24-8-4, 18-6-3 HE), who finished second in conference play and eighth nationally last year, will be hitting the ice in just over 10 days for their season debut. Here’s a closer look at how the Terriers will fare this year:

The Terriers ranked second offensively in Hockey East with three goals per game last season, a testament to scoring leaders Sammy Davis, Nara Elia, Abby Cook, and Jesse Compher. Of those players however, only Elia and Compher will be returning to the scarlet and white.

Davis, the former captain, was selected first overall in the 2020 NWHL Draft to the Boston Pride. While at BU, the forward from Pembroke, Massachusetts totaled 142 points (66g, 76a). Davis was named a Hockey East First Team All-Star for the 2019-20 season and was Beanpot MVP in 2019. She led the team in goals and assists, leaving a hole in the Terrier offense this season.

Like Davis, Cook finished her BU career as a Hockey East First Team All-Star. Cook led all Hockey Easy defenders in goals, assists, and points on the power play with 6, 14, and 20 respectively. 

Because the Terriers have graduated eight seniors, they’ll have to look to their returning core spearheaded by senior captains Elia and Compher. Elia will be returning to Walter Brown Arena after tallying career-highs in goals (11), assists (19), and points (30), good enough for second on the team last season. 

Compher, younger sister of Colorado Avalanche forward J.T. Compher, missed the beginning of last season due to injury, but still ended up second in goal-scoring on the team. So far, Compher has been named a Top-10 Finalist for the Patty Kazmaier award, a Second Team All-American, and named to the U.S Women’s National Team roster two years in a row. Compher finished the 2019-20 season with 29 points (13g, 16a) despite missing the first ten games. 

Returning to net is senior goaltender Corinne Schroeder, who finished just after Northeastern’s Aerin Frankel in goals against average (1.54), save percentage (.943) and winning percentage (.673) in Hockey East. Schroeder was listed fifth nationally for her goals against average.

Joining the Terriers this season are three forwards and four defenseman. Defenseman Andi Calderone, sister of recent graduate Alexandra Calderone , tallied 28 points in her last two seasons at John Abbott College. Andi Calderone was invited to the 2020 Hockey Canada National Women’s Team Development Camp and was chosen as team MVP in 2019-20, only one year after being selected as Rookie of the Year.

Also on the blueline is Tamara Giaquinto, who captained her team as a senior at Appleby College. In international play, Giaquino claimed silver with the Canadian U-18 Team at the 2020 IIHF U18 Women’s World Championships and gold with Team Ontario Red at the 2019 National Women’s U18 Championship.

Lastly, Julia Shaunessy will be donning a BU Jersey just like her parents did before her. Shaunessy’s mother, Jeanne, graduated from CAS in 1989 after helping the field hockey team advance to the 1985 NCAA semifinals. Her father Scott, a three-time Hockey East All-Star, won two Beanpots and a Hockey East title before beginning a nine-year career in the NHL. Julia captained the Tabor Academy hockey team, earning herself both First Team All-ISL and First Team All-NESPAC honors in 2019 and 2020. She was also invited to skate at the USA Hockey Nationals each year for the last three years.

While the team lost many central players, the new captains and incoming freshmen will bring a lot of talent and potential to the ice at Walter Brown. The Terriers will be making the trip to Orono, Maine to face the Black Bears on Dec. 4th for the season opener.