Terriers in the Stanley Cup Playoffs: Eastern Conference

As playoff hockey begins, 18 Terriers will hit the ice for a chance at the Stanley Cup. From the Eastern Conference, Boston University Men’s Hockey fans can watch eight players and two head coaches compete for the title:

Boston Bruins

Charlie Coyle:

Charlie Coyle of Weymouth, Massachusetts spent only two years with the Terriers. In his first year, Coyle finished fourth on the team in points and was named New England and Hockey East Rookie of the Year. After leaving BU, Coyle started his NHL career withthe Minnesota Wild. During his six years with the Wild, Coyle tallied over 240 points before being traded to the Boston Bruins in 2019. Coyle played with the Bruins in the 2019 chase for the Stanley Cup and is now competing for the Cup again in the 2020 playoffs.

Matt Grzelyck:

Charlestown native Matt Grzelyck was captain of the Terriers for two years. During his time in the Scarlet and White, Grzelyck led all Hockey East defensemen in points and led all Terrier defensemen as a plus-17. Grzelyck was named MVP of the 2015 Beanpot after scoring two goals, including the overtime game-winner against Northeastern. He joined the Boston Bruins in 2016 and has been a consistent player on the blueline.

Charlie McAvoy:

Charlie McAvoy played on Comm Ave from 2015-17. As a freshman, McAvoy led all BU defensemen in points and was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie team. As a sophomore, he was named a Hockey East All-Star. McAvoy scored the game-winning overtime goal against the University of North Dakota in 2017 in the Western Regional Semifinals. McAvoy has since joined the Boston Bruins where he’s a leading defenseman alongside captain Zdeno Chara. After his first professional season, McAvoy was selected for the NHL All-Rookie team, while also finishing 5th overall for the Calder Memorial Trophy for Rookie of the Year.

New York Islanders

Kieffer Bellows:

Kieffer Bellows spent one year with the Terriers after being drafted 19th overall to the NY Islanders in 2016. At BU, Bellows played in 34 games and scored 14 points on seven goals and seven assists. He began playing professionally in the 2019-20 season and made his NHL debut in February against the Dallas Stars.

New York Rangers

Danny O’Regan:

Danny O’Regan played for the Terriers for four years between 2012 and 2016. As a freshman, O’Regan was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie team after leading the Terriers in points, becoming the first freshman to do so since Tony Amonte in 1989. In his junior year, O’Regan was 13th in the nation in points per game. As a senior he wore an “A” for the Terriers and led the team in goals, assists and points. O’Regan has spent two seasons with both the San Jose Sharks and the Buffalo Sabres, before settling with the New York Rangers.

David Quinn:

David Quinn played at BU from 1984-88 during which he was named an All-New England defenseman. Quinn was captain of the 1987-88 squad and returned to campus in 2004 as the team’s associate head coach. Quinn would go on to replace his former coach and mentor Jack Parker in 2013. As head coach, Quinn led the Terriers to four straight appearances in the NCAA tournament from 2015-18, before being hired by the NY Rangers in 2018.

Philadelphia Flyers

Joel Farabee:

Joel Farabee spent one year at Agganis Arena. In his single year at BU, he led the team in points (36), goals (17), game-winning goals (5) and short-handed goals (3). Farabee took home awards for National Rookie of the Year, New England Rookie of the Year, and Hockey East Rookie of the Year. Since joining the Philadelphia Flyers, he posted 21 points (13 assists and eight goals). 

Pittsburgh Penguins

Evan Rodrigues:

Evan Rodrigues spent four years with BU. As a sophomore, he was awarded the Paul Hines Award for Most improved Player in New England after improving his point totals from 12 as a freshman to 34 as a sophomore. In his final year in 2015, Rodrigues was named Assistant Captain and was second in the nation in points, with a total of 61 from 21 goals and 40 assists. Most notably, Rodrigues‘ pass to Matt Grzelcyk in the 2015 Beanpot led the Terriers to their 30th Beanpot win. Rodrigues spent five seasons with the Buffalo Sabres alongside former BU standout Jack Eichel. In 2019, he was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Mike Sullivan:

Mike Sullivan played for the Terriers from 1986-90. In his second year, Sullivan scored a key goal in the Beanpot, and was later named captain in his senior season. Despite an ankle injury, Sullivan helped BU beat Michigan State in the 1990 NCAA tournament quarterfinal. Sullivan became head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2015 and led the Penguins to two Stanley Cup championships in 2016 and 2017.

Tampa Bay Lightning

Kevin Shattenkirk:

Kevin Shattenkirk played for the Terriers from 2007-2010. As a freshman, he was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie team and as a sophomore he was second in the nation in plus/minus with a plus-28 rating. Shattenkirk assisted Colin Wilson’s first period goal in the NCAA semifinals in 2009 and assisted Colby Cohen’s game-winning overtime goal against Miami University in the 2009 NCAA title game, giving the Terriers their fifth national championship. Shattenkirk spent seven years with the St. Louis Blues from 2010-2017 before shorter stints with the Washington Capitals and New York Rangers. Now, Shattenkirk is a consistent veteran presence on the blue line for the Tampa Bay Lightning.