Opinions

Three Takeaways from BU’s Friday Loss to UConn

BU conceded a tying goal in the final minute of regulation and a winner 19 seconds into overtime to leave Connecticut empty-handed on Friday night. Here are my three takeaways from the game – all opinions are my own.

BU played 59 minutes of hockey

Like Albie O’Connell said after the game, BU played a really solid game all night. The Terriers could have easily matched UConn’s two goals in the first, then they took their rightful lead with a dominating second period, and team defense shut down the Huskies for much of the third like we saw last week against UNH. However, two late lapses flipped the script on BU, turning a strong effort into a win that just slipped away.

Depth scoring came through

All three Terriers who scored last night came into the game with fewer than three goals on the season. Instead of David Farrance bombing away from the point or Trevor Zegras setting up a man in front, it was Case McCarthy and Cam Crotty shooting from range and Robert Mastrosimone feeding Jack DeBoer on a slick move inside. This depth production was encouraging from BU on a night when the top guys didn’t seem to have it.

A major swing in the standings

As the regular season nears its end, I’ll probably be including a look at the standings in these takeaways since every game and every point matters massively at this time of the year. Holding on for the win would have given BU sole possession of second place in the conference, but the loss means that the Terriers are in fifth, five points off the lead. For a team legitamitely chasing a regular-season title, that’s a tough blow.

BU will look for revenge with a rematch against UConn at Agganis Arena at 7 p.m. on Saturday night.