Women's Hockey

This Week in Women’s Hockey: Jan. 28 – Feb. 4

Conference games tend to present the highest level of competition for the Boston University women’s hockey team, especially when the game is against another team based in or around the Boston area.

Going into last Tuesday’s game against Northeastern University (23-3-1, 20-2-0 Hockey East), the Terriers (18-6-3, 13-6-3 Hockey East) were riding a five-game point streak before stepping into Matthews Arena.

The opening period was promising for BU, as senior forward Deziray De Sousa gave the Terriers the lead 7:54 into the opening period.

However, the lead was short-lived. Northeastern scored two shorthanded goals in the second period. While BU was given a chance to even the scoring with a five-minute power play with 5:45 remaining in regulation, the Terriers were unable to capitalize and the Huskies walked away with the two points.

“Overall you had a really exciting hockey game,” said head coach Brian Durocher during his post-game remarks. “Two good teams, and in the end it comes down to a couple opportunities for our team to maybe tie it, but credit to Northeastern. They kept us at bay, and I think they did a real nice job late in the game. But, I think everybody got their money’s worth with an exciting hockey game.”

Last Friday night was a different story for BU as the University of Vermont (9-13-7, 6-11-5 Hockey East) came into town.

Four different players scored for the Terriers, as they defeated Vermont 4-2. De Sousa (her second goal in two games) and red-shirt senior forward Sammy Davis both scored in the first period, while sophomore forwards Emma Wuthrich and Courtney Correia scored in the final stanza to seal the victory for BU in their final game before the Women’s Beanpot begins on Tuesday.

This year, the Terriers will host the 2020 Women’s Beanpot after winning last year’s tourmamentl their first Beanpot title since 1981. Harvard and Northeastern will kick off the proceedings at Walter Brown Arena at 5 p.m., and BU will take on Boston College later that night at 8 p.m.

The Eagles (14-10-3, 13-8-2 Hockey East) are coming off an 8-3 home win against Holy Cross last Friday night.

BC is lead offensively by freshman forward Hannah Bilka and sophomore forward Kelly Browne who both lead in pints with 32. Senior forward Delaney Belinskas leads in goals with 16, and Browne leads in assists with 21.

Against the Eagles, Durocher hopes that good goaltending, defense, and high-level competition will continue to show this week and during the tournament.

The defending champions begin their quest to reclaim the Beanpot title Tuesday night at 8 p.m in what should be an electric Battle of Comm. Ave, and Durocher says his team is ready especially as the hosting team.

“It’s a lot of good play in the media, and it’s super exciting for our kids,” said Durocher. “Being here and hosting it, it’s just timing. So, I don’t think they worry about that. But familiarity and the nuance of our rink is nice to have when you go into the game.”