Opinions

Three Takeaways from Saturday’s BU loss at No. 5 Boston College

Boston College won the season’s first round of the Battle of Comm. Ave on Saturday night, defeating BU 4-3 at Conte Forum. Here are three takeaways I came away from the game with, and all opinions are my own.

BU went down early again

Here are some notable stats for you; BU has conceded the first goal of the game ten times through 21 games this season, allowing the opening goal five times within the first ten minutes – four times within the first five. Logan Hustko got the scoring started on a breakaway nine minutes into the first period, which punctuated what felt like a sluggish start for the Terriers, hindered by early shorthanded time. The Terriers eventually found their game and broke through later in the first period, but Hutsko and the Eagles had chances to go up by multiple goals with some close calls early on.

The Terriers showed resiliency

With the Eagles taking the lead early in the first and sending an already-rowdy Conte Forum crowd into a frenzy, BC had opportunities to bury BU in the opening 20 minutes. However, the Terriers found a way to answer, and did so two more times on the night, refusing to allow the Eagles to build on one-goal leads. Although BU was never on top in the contest, it never felt like the Terriers were completely out of the game. Moral victories can only take a team so far, though, and playing the catch-up game meant BU was still trying to come from behind when the final horn sounded.

Bad puck luck cost the Terriers

BC’s first-line center Julius Mattila scored the game-winner late in regulation when his saucer pass, looking for Hutsko for the hat-trick bid, deflected into the net off of David Farrance, who was sliding to block the pass. Were it not for the unfortunate bounce, the game could have turned in BU’s favor as the Terriers had the Eagles on their heels for most of the third period. Granted, a poor turnover led to the odd-man rush for Mattila and Hutsko, but in the end, sometimes it is just all about puck luck, and one BU bounce could have swayed the game in the other direction.

BU will be back in action next weekend with a series against UMass Lowell.

1. Patrick this game stung. But I think it could be a valuable learning tool for bu to bring in for a game in early February . We also should feel as if we can play with the best. This coming weekend we need to play our game and clean up some pieces and just keep coming . I like were we are heading. Go bu 🐾