Opinions

BU Midseason Grades: Forwards

With competitive game action just around the corner, our assessment of the Boston University men’s hockey team’s first half of the season concludes with my final installment of grading each positional group. I’ve saved the largest group for last: the forwards.

If you haven’t done so already, be sure to check out my grades for the goaltenders and defensemen. As a quick reminder, this article will look at the group’s performance as a whole. For in-depth analysis for each player, check out Brady Gardner’s two-part review of every member of the BU roster. Now, here is my evaluation of the Terrier forwards at the midpoint of the 2019-20 season. As always, all opinions are my own.

Missing seven of last season’s top scorers to either departures or injuries, there were early question marks about where offensive production would come from for the 2019-20 Terriers. Through 17 games, BU has managed a formidable attack, ranking 15th nationally in goals per game (3.18) and working at an 18.46 percent clip on the power play.

After winning 7-3 over Union in the season opener where all four lines and the power play produced, head coach Albie O’Connell’s group seemingly fell into a pattern of relying on top guys like senior captain Patrick Curry and senior assistant captain Patrick Harper to carry the load. Over the course of the ensuing four games to close out October, the top line of Curry, Harper, and freshman Trevor Zegras accounted for nine of BU’s 13 goals.

November saw inconsistency from an offense that averaged four goals per game in the first month of the year, dropping to a goals-per-game average of 2.3. The Terriers were only able to post three goals or more in five out of ten games in November, and shutouts at the hands of Sacred Heart and Cornell were certainly discouraging.

December’s two games before the winter break saw new-look lines and a refreshed offensive attack power BU to convincing victories over top-ten opponents in Harvard and Northeastern, winning 5-3 and 6-3 respectively. Depth scoring emerged in these victories, with the likes of Cam Crotty, Jack DeBoer, Dom Fensore and others finding the back of the net.

Curry, Zegras, and Harper – who has certainly benefited from full health – have unsurprisingly led the way for the Terrier attack, but it has been encouraging to see youngsters such as freshmen Robert Mastrosimone and Ethan Phillips increasing their influence both on the scoresheet and through the eye test as the first semester wrapped up.

Looking at another individual, sophomore Matt Quercia has already smashed his production totals from last season (1g, 1a) with 5-5-10 marks this season. In a talented but perhaps undersized attacking group, he has found his niche as a hard-nosed skater who can contribute on both sides of the puck and in all situations.

As much as the top six and power play impressed, more could be desired from the lower lines. In particular, sophomore Jake Wise (0g, 3a) and graduate Alex Brink (0g, 2a) will be asked to increase their production in the second half, while the addition of Wilmer Skoog has potential to bolster BU’s offensive depth.

Grade: B+

Overall, the offense has been fine, especially considering last year’s squad averaged just 2.90 goals per game. However, there is still room to improve, namely making an adjustment in their attacking mindset. As I’ve pointed out in my postgame columns, there are times where too much passing or deking has squandered scoring opportunities, whereas shooting the puck and getting to the “dirty areas” would have created a quality chance.

As with the other two positional groups, the second half brings questions for BU’s forward corps. Will the freshmen continue to show growth? Will leaders like Curry and Harper be able to keep up their production?. Will this group remain healthy? How will junior Logan Cockerill fare in his return from an extended injury? Will the addition of Wilmer Skoog make a difference? We will have to wait and see.

1. Son of Caesar Carlaci

With BC now a powerhouse in the O department we better have forward power in scoring goals and not just shots on net. This team is still developing a cohesive attack. Stability of forward lines a must to score goals. As Patrick says “we shall see”.

2. I don’t see bc as a power house in the offense son of Cesar . They are good and I will even say very good but I think they are very well balanced . There averaging just under four goals a game which is very impressive but and this is a big but they have scored a lot of goals against teams that have struggled. I like there goalie he is the real deal but he can be beat. I’m not going to be intimidated by bc . There kids tie there skates the same way my bu kids tie there’s. Patrick I like your article and I think it shows that bu has the potential to beat anyone on any given night we will just have to wait and see. I will say this I always respect our opponents but I don’t get caught up in how awesome other teams are. We have a pretty good team down this end of Comm Ave .🐾