Off-Ice News

Zegras, Mastrosimone named to Team USA World Juniors Camp

Robert Mastrosimone jabs at the puck while Trevor Zegras looks on. Photo by Jenna VanSickle.

Freshman forwards Trevor Zegras and Robert Mastrosimone of the Boston University men’s hockey team have been named to the preliminary roster of the 2020 U.S. National Junior Team. Of the 28 players named to the preliminary roster that will participate in USA Hockey’s World Juniors camp, 23 will be announced to the final roster for the 2020 World Junior Championship, which will be held from Dec. 26, 2019 -to Jan. 5, 2020, in Ostrava and Trinec, Czech Republic.

Zegras was just named Hockey East Rookie of the Week after notching a goal in BU’s win over Harvard last Tuesday before recording three assists in the team’s victory over Northeastern on Saturday night. Mastrosimone also scored in both contests.

On the season, Zegras has five goals and 12 assists for 17 total points in 16 games to go along with a plus-seven rating and 25 penalty minutes. Meanwhile, Mastrosimone four goals and six assists for 10 points in 17 games as well as a minus-three rating and six penalty minutes so far this season.

Zegras spent last season with the U.S. under-18 team as part of USA Hockey’s National Development Team Program after spending the previous season with the under-17 team. In 58 USHL games with the USNDTP team, Zegras registered 25-47-72 totals as well as 46-90-136 in 116 games between the U-17 and U-18 teams. During the 2019 under -18 WJC, the centerman recorded nine assists in five games. The Bedford, New York, native was selected 9th-overall by the Anaheim Ducks in the First Round of the 2019 NHL Entry Draft.

Mastrosimone played four games with U.S. national under-18’s last year, but made his mark as an assistant captain for the Chicago Steele of the USHL in his second season with the team. In his two seasons in the USHL, Mastrosimone notched 47-58-105 numbers in 104 contests. The East Ilsip, New York, native was selected 54th overall by the Detroit Red Wings in the Second Round of the NHL Draft in 2019.

USA Hockey will run the camp Dec. 16-17 in Plymouth, Michigan.

1. This is a great accomplishment for both kids. I understand some folks don’t like this tournament but I do enjoy it. kids who play in it get a lot of experience and it’s cool to represent your country. My only disappointment is Dom Fensore was not on roster. I think the way he played first half he should have been looked at.

2. sonofcaesarcarlaci

My problem is that the tournament seems to supersede college hockey. The reason BU and most other college teams no longer play late December and beyond is that they want their full complement of players on hand. This interrupts the flow of action and resulting attention of the fan base. No, this is not good for college hockey.

3. With exams and holidays we don’t miss much we have some scrimmages that some kids like Witkowski Copeland Blixt etc can now play in. I’m excited for them to show some of there stuff they have been working hard. Every once in a while we miss a game here or there but the opportunity to play for your nation does a lot for your schools reputation. The past few tournaments have had many bu players on it which is a credit to the talented kids we are bringing in.