Opinions

The Top Five Moments from Friday’s win over Vermont

Patrick Harper lines up before a faceoff. Photo by Jenna VanSickle.

Boston University finished tonight’s game 3-0 winners over the University of Vermont. Here’s what I picked out as the top five moments from the game.

5. Trevor Zegras gets a little fancy

BU freshman forward Trevor Zegras got creative behind the net and decided to whip out a move reminiscent of the lacrosse-style move 4:45 into the first period. For those of you not familiar with the unorthodox goal brought to recent fame by Andei Svechnikov against the Calgary Flames in October, Zegras skated behind the net with the puck, stopped, lifted it on to the blade of his stick tried to flip it past the right shoulder of the goaltender. Although Zegras’s attempt failed and sailed over the goal, the play certainly got the Agganis Arena crowd going.

“He’s a special player,” senior forward Patrick Harper put it simply.

4. Carter Long says “so long” to Zegras

Zegras had a nice-looking first two periods, but his night quickly ended after a penalty in the final seconds of the second period was deemed a five-minute major and a game misconduct. Zegras got tangled up with sophomore defenseman Carter Long, and the freshman promptly cross-checked Long, pinned him against the boards, and then delivered a nice, cozy elbow to the head. Just like that, BU was down their top line center.

“No one’s really gonna replace what he brings to the table,” said Harper about adjusting to playing without Zegras.

3. Sam Tucker picks up his first career point

It’s not every day that a goalie can call up his family after a game and tell them that he got a point. The graduate student did not manage to achieve this stat during his time playing for Yale, but that all changed tonight when he dropped the puck off to junior defenseman David Farrance behind the net, who carried it over the two blue lines and dished it to senior forward Patrick Harper, who rocketed it top shelf to make BU’s lead two halfway through the second period.

2. Dom Fensore wanted it, so he got it

8:21 into the second period, BU collected their first goal of the night thanks to freshman defenseman Domenick Fensore. Taking advantage of a power play opportunity, BU quickly transitioned the puck down the ice as Farrance hit freshman forward Ethan Phillips moving past the BU bench. Phillips then dished it cross-crease to Fensore, who got low to the ice to tip in his first collegiate goal.

“I just went to the far post and banged it in,” explained Fensore.

1. Harper’s Zinger

Everyone knows BU senior assistant captain Patrick Harper for his quick hands and tight stick skills. Tonight, Harper made his case to add “sniper” to his resume. 11 minutes into the second period, Harper handled the puck and traveled from the right side of the attacking zone all the way to the left before he decided it was his moment to release. If you blinked you missed his top-right laser.

“I had a good amount of time and space and I saw a big amount of room upstairs and tried to elevate and it went in,” said Harper.

BU and Vermont will meet again on Saturday afternoon for a 4pm puck drop at Agganis Arena.