BU’s season comes to an end with 2-1 overtime loss to Northeastern in Hockey East semifinal

Playing with their season on the line in the 2019 Hockey East semifinals at the TD Garden, the Boston University men’s hockey team fell to Northeastern University in overtime, 2-1.

BU head coach Albie O’Connell put it best: “it’s not fun being on the wrong side of it.”

It was a familiar matchup at the Garden, as BU (16-18-4) and Northeastern (26-10-1) had met on February 4 for the Beanpot semifinals. That contest was decided in overtime by a score of 2-1, 53 days before the result would be repeated in Hockey East tournament play.

“We knew that there was a little bit of an incentive there for them,” said Northeastern head coach Jim Madigan, acknowledging the Terriers’ hunt for Beanpot revenge.

The Terriers suffered a major blow in the hours leading up to the game, as freshman forward and leading scorer Joel Farabee was announced unavailable due to a lower-body injury suffered in the final game of the quarterfinal series against the University of Massachusetts at Lowell.

“We had a bunch of guys who were pretty dinged up,” O’Connell said.

Despite missing their offensive leader, the Terriers came out on the front foot, gaining the immediate advantage in zone time. Senior forward and co-captain Bobo Carpenter and sophomore forward Shane Bowers both saw Northeastern netminder Cayden Primeau turn away their early attempts.

The Huskies would finally turn things around past the halfway point in the period, maintaining possession in the offensive zone and getting dangerous chances from defensemen Jeremy Davies and Eric Williams.

With the first period winding down, the Terriers regained their rhythm, and nearly broke the game’s deadlock.

On a rebound chance in the slot, sophomore forward Logan Cockerill spun and fired one by Primeau. However, the officials would review the play, ultimately determining that Carpenter had interfered with the Husky keeper on the edge of the crease, nullifying the goal.

With the Terrier tally taken off the board, the teams would return to the locker rooms still level at 0-0.

“They took the play to us a little bit in the first,” recalled Madigan.

Beginning the second period, it was Northeastern who grabbed the majority of the zone time in the period’s opening minutes. The Huskies’ pressure was boosted by the game’s first power play, but the Terrier penalty killers held on to survive the two minutes.

Receiving a power play of their own, BU flipped play to the Northeastern end, and earned an opener that would stay on the board.

As the Husky penalty expired at 7:39, sophomore defenseman David Farrance let go a long drive that fell in front. Picking up the rebound, sophomore forward Ty Amonte caught Primeau sprawling out and roofed the shot to beat the recently-named Hockey East goaltender of the year.

“They’re hard to beat,” said Madigan, who had seen his team concede four consecutive goals to the Terriers in BU’s lone win over Northeastern back in November.

The teams would trade punches on unsuccessful odd-man rushes and well-worked shot opportunities, with the best chance coming for BU junior forward Patrick Harper, who rang the post from close range on the pinpoint feed from Cockerill.

Northeastern turned up the heat late in the period with shots from defenseman Jeremy Davies and forward Tyler Madden, among others. Still, BU junior goalkeeper Jake Oettinger stayed perfect, accumulating 18 saves in the second period compared to 8 in the first.

The frame would come to an end on a scrappy note, with a late scuffle resulting in four-on-four play to conclude the period. The late intensity set up for an exciting final 20 minutes, as the Terriers took a 1-0 lead into the second intermission.

We’ve come a long way as a team,” said O’Connell, referring to BU’s newfound sense of tenacity and unity he had noted after the quarterfinal series in Lowell.

With both teams skating four-on-four to open the third, it did not take Northeastern very long to find their equalizer.

16 seconds into the period, forward Matt Filipe drove in on the backhand, and pulled the puck back to a streaking Madden. The standout freshman did the rest, beating Oettinger just as he had in February to overcome BU in the Beanpot semifinals.

“We’ve excelled in the third period,” Madigan said. “There’s a confidence level.”

With the Husky fans finding their voice and the team sensing an opportunity for a lead, Northeastern nearly grabbed a go-ahead goal at the 13:19 mark.

Crashing the Terrier net, forward Brandon Hawkins could not get through Oettinger, but the puck would slide across the line on the second effort from forward Lincoln Griffin. Upon review, goaltender interference was called once again, this time against Hawkins for the initial net drive.

Gaining a lifeline on the disallowed goal, BU found new energy, coming closest on a rocket from sophomore forward Shane Bowers that glanced off the iron and into the protective netting above Cayden Primeau.

“We had chances to make some plays,” said O’Connell.

The second half of the period would feature porous defense, but masterful goaltending to make up for it. Primeau kept out bids from the likes of Cockerill and Amonte, while Oettinger denied good looks from Huskies such as forwards Grant Jozefek and Zach Solow to counter Primeau.

Back-and-forth play and late power plays for both teams would not be enough to separate the sides, who would require overtime just as they did back in the Beanpot matchup, tied 1-1.

As O’Connell put it simply, “it was a tight game.”

Moving into the extra frame, the Huskies tilted the ice early, but would not find a winner in the first minute like they did in February. The Terrier defense held firm, including an impressive kill of a power play three and a half minutes in.

“I thought our guys played really hard,” O’Connell said.

BU were able to gain opportunities as overtime wore on, with promising chances from Carpenter and Cockerill falling apart in great positions. Freshman forward Matt Quercia would have BU’s best look of the fourth period, jamming away at a resilient Primeau just outside the crease.

“We had some chances that we didn’t capitalize on,” claimed O’Connell.

While the Terriers looked to have taken the upper hand, it was clear that fatigue was becoming a factor. With 4:16 to play in overtime, Northeastern would take advantage.

Holding the puck deep in the left corner, Brandon Hawkins zipped it centrally for Zach Solow. Receiving the pass in the slot, Solow ripped one top shelf, taking Northeastern to the conference title game and pushing BU into the offseason.

“You have to tip your cap to them,” said O’Connell. “They made a play in a critical time of the game.”

The final score was a repeat of BU’s Beanpot defeat at the hands of the Huskies, and also marked the first loss all season for the Terriers when leading after two periods.

As Madigan suggested, “this game could’ve gone either way.”

Northeastern’s win was their program-record 26th of the season. The Huskies will play for a 27th tomorrow when they take on Boston College in the Hockey East final before turning their attention to the national tournament.

“[I’m] thrilled we’re in the championship,” Madigan said.

With the semifinal defeat, the Terriers’ season has come to an end. BU will graduate five skaters: captain Bobo Carpenter, Ryan Cloonan, Max Prawdzik, Shane Switzer, and Max Willman.

“The seniors played really hard,” credited O’Connell.

As the offseason begins, stay tuned for reflection on the 2018-19 season and team updates in anticipation of the 2019-20 campaign right here on the Boston Hockey Blog.

1. A very solid and admirable effort without Farabee this evening. Thanks to all our seniors for your commitment and loyalty to BU. I can’t believe what a dreadful HE final game that will have NU facing BC. Can’t help but route for NU, perhaps since year after year after year we kept pummeling them. Now it’s their turn to taste some success.

I do think we have a lot to look forward to next year, with Zegras, Vlasic and company coming to Agganis Way. However, if we have another exodus like last season, the incoming frosh will not be able to carry the load by themselves.

Go BU!

• Yes Glenn, a strong effort indeed, and a lot of credit should go to those seniors. While the result is frustrating, you’re right – there’s a lot to look forward to next season, if they can keep the majority of the team intact.

2. Huge opportunity lost. Terriers hung in there all night , had a goal disallowed and a crossbar Harper ( at 1-0), all without Farabee.Two moments of inattention, allowing a goal in first minute of third and on OT goal did them in. However if we had won , Jake would have stolen it, the HE title and NCAA both would all have been on the table vs a 14-21 BC. Its so important now to keep all our players and build on what was shown in last few games, otherwise we start over again and its obvious how difficult it is. Davies, is an outstanding player, one of best in nation, and NU has had him for a while, Terriers need to keep their players like this

• Yes Vito, it was an opportunity, and they came up just short. Definitely important to build on the different mentality we saw at the end there, and keeping guys around would be a big step towards that!

3. Brady great job with the blog and coverage all year a huge thank you to you and your staff for keeping us all informed on BU hockey. I have said it many times I’m supportive of this team win or loose. They played hard last night the kids probably deserved better but that’s sports. A loss like this stings but I try and be optimistic I’m not looking at this like the end but rather the start of the beginning. Let’s see what the freshman class looks like and what players come back. It’s 430 in the morning and I have to go to work so I will post later after the haters use this loss to propel there agenda. One last point i did not see it as I went to cheer BU as they left the ice but my wife and friend said the Northeastern team taunted our fans as they were leaving the ice. Prime example of them having no class. I don’t care about either bc or Northeastern but if pressed I want bc I don’t like Northeastern they have no class and it shows.

• Thank you Colin, I appreciate that. A painful loss indeed, but the effort was there. As for NU, that’s rivalry hockey and the college brain for you, I guess.

4. solid effort from an average (i am being kind) team, sans their leading scorer. you are what your record says you are

Davies was immense last night. he totally quarterbacked their O rushes and allowed them to set up on the O zone. he can play on my team anytime

probably would not have beaten BC anyways as umass turned into umass

the off season exodus will surely erode the program: one step forward, two steps back. stay tuned

5. SonofCaesarCarlaci

Played as hard as they could. Where was that all year ? Hitting from behind, off the crossbar, and BOBO’s call could have made the difference. If we lose Farabee and one or two others it will be next year just like this year. Need older players to balance the team out as Albie has stated.Go NU. BC sucks !!!!

• Yes SoCC, they sure played hard. It seems like the program is on the right track according to what Coach said, just need to keep as many guys around as possible.

6. While it’s a shame the season is over, there is no shame in losing to NU. Overall, the season was too inconsistent for my liking. Their talent didn’t quite translate onto the ice until the end. Not exactly a recipe for success. If they keep the defections to a minimum ( just Fabbro, Oettinger,) they can do better next season. Another good incoming class will help. Albie does go on the clock next year though. No more grace period. Enjoy the off season!!! Tk out!!!

• The talent was there TK, but the teamwork was not, until the end like you said. Fabbro and Oettinger would be big losses, but yes, you can recover from losing 2-3 players. I’m expecting O’Connell to have a better start to next season after spending a full season at the helm.

7. If Farabee or Bowers stays, we will be in great shape. Very curious to see what becomes of Jake Wise.

• Yes Glenn, those are two big names to keep around, and Wise could be something too if back to 100%.

• But even if he comes back to 100%, what should we expect from him? Over 12 games, he tallied two assists. That was really disappointing given he had a lot of success in his U-18 USNTDP season. Then again, so did Bellows.

8. I can see Vinnie is trying to stir things up and I’m glad he’s a fan of Davies and I’m happy he could play for his team any time . As for me I don’t want him not because of his talent but more of his character. I just found out more information this morning of just how bad the kids are on that team. We lost to a good team talent wise but they are jerks they antagonized our fans and then our players as they left the garden no class. I have never rooted for bc and I can’t imagine I will tonight but it would be nice to watch northeastern suffer a loss. As to this year it was a ok year it’s the first time a first year coach got this far in the playoffs and the team got better as the season went along. Injuries to key players hurt us big time. I don’t think as many people leave as is stated on the blog. I don’t know much about our freshman but I do know it is expected that most stay for a few years. Most teams who have a rebuilding year have a terrible record and get beat soundly bu hung in there against the best teams in the country and finished right around the 500 mark that’s ok. I don’t look at this as the end but the start of the beginning . Bu hockey is in good shape🐾

• Northeastern are becoming the bullies of Boston, Colin, but with the way they’re playing and the confidence Coach Madigan constantly refers to, it seems like they have reason to do so. BU did hang in there – just a disappointment based on preseason expectations.

9. Brady I always have high expectations but they never looked dominant out of the gate . I think people saw the draft picks and said this deep will go deep then the season started and the kids saw how big and fast other teams where I’m sorry I mentioned injuries but also where some of these games fell in the schedule was as much to blame with our struggles. This team did get better as the season went along . I’m a firm believer that we have the best coach in college hockey we will build off of this season.

• True Colin, it seemed like there was a lot that just didn’t click. “Best coach in college hockey” might be a stretch, but I think we did see towards the end why O’Connell is the right man for the job.

10. Every team has injury problems and schedule issues. Let’s try to keep the excuses to a minimum. This BU team underachieved. It wasn’t a terrible year but it could (should) have been so much better. TK out!!

• I have to agree TK. Hopefully there will be a sense of urgency to start next season and move on from a relatively underwhelming 2018-19 season.

11. Brady et al,

Thank you for having restored the BHB, for providing excellent coverage and analysis, and for your added personal touch responding to individual comments. In addition to your obvious technical skills as a scribe, you have a gift for watching games with a passion for the program; while at the same time being able to dispassionately analyze, critique, and comment. You embody, manifest, and thereby prove, that one can be a true and loyal fan, while at the same time objectively noting flaws (as do many of the comment contributors).

Echoing earlier comments, this team was not equal to the sum of its parts for most of the season; with its true capability being occasionally demonstrated during the season, and then consistently demonstrated in the Lowell and Garden games. Why that was, and how it was corrected, will hopefully be recognized and translated into the psyche of next season’s team and coaching staff.

As despondent as I was following the season’s end, I was buoyed by the cohesive team play that marked the playoffs, and I am already looking forward to the next campaign, prevailing in MSG, and being able to watch the Terriers in the 2020 NCAA’s.

Once again, thank you all for your efforts. PSD

• Thank you very much PS, I appreciate that a lot. Yes, some things didn’t work out this year, but like you said, there’s a lot to be excited for next season!

12. me, stir things up? Never. so the NU players were rude to the BU fans. wah, wah, wah

When your team loses,Colin, you disparage the opposition who, BTW, won two trophies every BU fan would love to claim. This reeks of being a sore loser and poor sport. no surprise!

13. Vinnie I would play sports as hard as I could when the game was over I respected my opponents I’m not a sore looser we lost to a good team but the bus issue is just another dispicable act in a line of bad sportsmanship by the Northeastern team. I always admired there coach but at some point he and the rest of the coaches should have stepped in and say this is not right . Kudos to BU for not getting off there bus and escalating the situation more. I did not like Nu for reasons I stated before I despise them now. Vinnie players like chabot, curry,Quercia and crotty wont forget the way they were mocked in the Boston streets by yes a good hockey team but what overshadows that is they are just punks. This ride they are on now won’t last for ever. Can’t wait for BU hockey to be back🐾

14. Mass exodus could begin as early as tomorrow. Speculation is Dante F., Chad K. and Jake O to sign sooner rather than later. A good possibility Joel F. could join the group.

15. Jeff Cox
    @JeffCoxSports
    ·
    From Jeff Cox
    Northeastern wins Hockey East Championship with a 3-2 win over Boston College. Second title in four seasons to go with three NCAA Tournament appearances in that span. The best program in Boston right now is NU and it’s not even close.

16. Congratulations Vinnie I’m happy for you but why come on the bu hockey blog touting your team other then to get a reaction. You won’t get one out of me because for as long as I can remember I have said win or loose I’m a bu fan so just because we lost does not mean I’m going to jump ship. I wish you the best of luck with your huskies. I hope you post on there blog with such enthusiasm. I will say this bu hockey will be back .

17. That was from Jeff Cox and apparently the truth hurts

He also reports that Fabbro Krys Ottenger and probably Farabee are gone. How does a program move forward when they keep losing experiences players in droves?

18. Well Vinnie, it’s interesting that a few years ago, NU lost that whole top line … the one that had Aston-Reese and was the most prolific scoring line in the country. Obviously they were able to move forward … and then some! What seems to be our problem is that with only a few exceptions (such as Carpenter, Greenway and Curry), the forwards who stay three or four years don’t seem to have significant point production. Hopefully Harper will rebound next season but every season he has had fewer points. Even Bobo had a drop in points-per-game this season … compared to his junior year. We need guys who not only stay but keep increasing their offensive output. Developing more Curry’s is what we need to do in order to make Northeastern our bitches again (like they always have been).

19. The mass exodus has begun. It’s a vicious cycle.

20. Vinnie,
    You are 1000% correct in your assessment. It is crime to tell the truth on this blog or have a different view of the world. Any time you state the facts that they cannot dispute bloggers make it personal. Believe me I am not bitter or angry only truthful.
    I thought B.U.gave terrific effort on Friday, no criticism on my part for their Playoff performance. However you cannot take the whole year off and just show up at the end and expect success.
    The facts are the final record was 16-18 -4, 25th in the pair wise rankings, last in the Bean pot, 5th place Hockey East and lost in the semi finals of the Hockey East tournament . Obviously no bid to the big dance.
    Your thoughts regarding Northeastern are spot on. In the approximately six decades I have been following the Terriers, they have made Northeastern’s life miserable. So let them have there day. Quite honestly I admire there coach who took over 8 years ago and has established a culture that is focused on the team and the school They lose their top three players and reload to have a better team the following year.

.

21. Looks like Bowers is staying for junior season! 🙂

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2019/3/25/18280655/colorado-avalanche-prospect-shane-bowers-expected-to-return-to-bu-next-season-ncaa-hockey

This is highly significant and unexpected!

Go BU!

22. krys, farabee, ott, gone. looks like we will have a mite team next year – too young and inexperienced to compete at a high level. just the facts

• Not really. Bowers coming back will change every expectation on what we can expect … assuming Zegras, Vlasic and company do show up to BU in the fall. BU will be loaded next season and then we can really start to pass judgement on whether our program is headed in the right direction. Also realize that Dom Fensore will be an undersized d-man with off-the-charts play making skills. His skills are consistent with him leaving after one year but his size will keep him at BU for at least three years … IMO.

23. Vinnie,
    Fabbro made it official. To make it worse Farabee allegedly was torn, but decided a year experience in the AHL was better than the coaching at B.U. ( This theory was stated by a former Terrier and two former writers of the DFP.
    The perception is the coaching staff with 12 NHL draft picks that finished below .500 has issues. This is the truth with no ax to grind as I personally like Albie.

24. How can someone who finishes with a below 500 record be even in the conversation about best in college hockey? This blog needs more realists and less blind sheep. The jury is still out on Albie (the coach). Notice how I was careful not to slander Albie personally. We know that he can recruit but can he coach said recruits? I think Krys would greatly benefit from staying. The rest were expected to go. We should be okay next year but the bar is set much higher. We could be looking at a longer term rebuild here. Ugh!!! TK out!

25. TK180
    Truthfull comments. Unfortunately Albie and the coaching staff is getting a lot of criticism on line. I hope B.U doesn’t lose any recruits.
    It is a result oriented business and if there is not a dramatic improvement next year then I am sure changes will be necessary.
    Already attendance and fund raising concerns that have yet to be addressed or resolved.

26. thank you TK and Frozen Out for a refreshing breath of reality. A certain bloggers puppies and rainbow analysis does get obnoxious. Notice i mentioned no names

27. Former players who go on social media to rip the program and coaching staff usually have a agenda. I’m not taking Cohen seriously and yes I think coach and his staff are the best. I may be looking at it with rose colored glasses koolaid or whatever junk you want to throw at me. It’s interesting at the beginning of the season everyone is on board but at the end only a few . In fact we now have a defection vinnie has left the haters and is now a die hard fan of the Northeastern huskies. Wow that’s a first. Just curious when we beat Northeastern next year will you switch back. True fans stick with there team in good times and bad nothing obnoxious about that it’s just loyalty.

28. The last 4 games of the season including playoffs showed us that in fact we can play smart good Hockey …. The important question is where was this type of Hockey in the regular season and even if u need to adjust your game until break should be enough time so 2nd half we made no adjustments for what ever reasons injuries etc don’t know … I personally think to many kids put themselves before team and it wasn’t working maybe I’m wrong but I went to every game road and home I noticed bunch of guys going thru the motions no names need to be mentioned then u see the playoffs they turned it on that ABSOLUTELY can not happen… We lost few key guys but next year class has a bunch of talent hopefully it translate into the ice… Next season this season for this program anything less then a NCAA appearance is disappointing.. 1 year with coaching staff his recruits coming let’s make it work … This season was a roller coaster up and down not good enough but not bad either … The game vs huskies was bad luck I must say Harper hits post while we were up 1-0 and krys misses the puck its a goal and 26 turns it over game over so they battled that game just wasn’t meant to be no im not making excuses… It is what it is … Can’t wait for October already … Curry and Bowers your captains… Go BU it was a pleasure … Go BU and ir who ever u root for 😀😀😀

29. sonofcaesarcarlaci

There must be reason we lose so many to the pros. I can see the NHL but the AHL ? Why do you go to college in the fist place ? A path to the future via a college education must be shown and a frank discussion of how many are just about in the street who wash out when they are in their late 20’s. Fabbro not ready for NHL but does not want another free year of a University education ? Krys also is not good enough for the NHL so why not get a degree and have a fall back plan. Another average year ahead for BU Hockey.

• Hi SoCC. Of course there’s a reason we lose so many to the pros. It’s because players of that caliper don’t stay in college for four years. I think it was tremendous that we kept Jake, Chad and Krys for three years. Look around the sixty D-1 teams. All schools that attract high-end (first and second round NHL picks) have the very same issue. I think a bigger concern is when we get players like Bellows and Wise who are those kind of players … but don’t produce when they arrive. I still hold out hope for Jake Wise, though I am concerned that he only wound up with two assists in twelve games.

30. Colin
    You make me laugh. Seriously, you are a funny dude

So if any person on this sacred blog compliments another team or another player from another team, they are a traitor. I respect what Madigan has done at NU. Do I root for them? No, but I acknowledge what they have accomplished. It is called sportsmanship. Colin they have electronic dictionaries on line. Look up the word. I assume you can pronounce it. Hint -!there are 3 syllables in the word.

And although you would never admit it, you know damn well you would love it if BU was a two-time defending Beanpot champs and won the HE title two out of the last three years. Oh, but that doesn’t count because they were meanies to our fans. Sticks and stones, Colin, can not break your rose colored glasses

With the current mass exodus and the newbies coming in, expect more sub par play. Wish I was wrong but I don’t think so

Go NU. I mean BU. Sorry

31. Once again, the incoming class is full of talented players. That does not guarantee success. Bowers coming back helps but he is just a piece. Hopefully, he and Harper up their games. It would be welcome after their mediocre season. We’ll be relying on an unproven goalie, as will other HE teams. Looking forward to next year but not putting the glasses on yet. On 2nd thought, it’s awfully sunny on Comm Ave so I should wear sun protection. TK out!!

32. Tk I don’t know how talented the class is but I do know most are expected to stay that’s welcome news. One of the things that folks on this blog don’t understand is just because your drafted does not make you a superstar in fact I tried to point this out by talking about our youth but I always get attacked by the haters. I never thought we were as good as people said at the beginning of the year but by the end I said we were as good as anybody and I get attacked again. Bu hockey is fine let’s see what happens at the start. I honestly believe we have the best coaching staff but we lost some key guys let’s not get to excited and don’t be doom and gloom this team will figure it out

33. Vinnie,
    Once again I have the same view point regarding the Northeastern program. I am actually jealous of the fact that eight years ago they chose the correct coach who ultimately built the program into a national power. A coach who is invested in college hockey who I believe recently signed an extension.
    Action always speak louder than words and it is not a good look when four undergraduate players (one captain, another assistant captain) leave the first business possible after the season abruptly ends to the next level. What makes it sadder is that only one is going to the NHL. the others will be in the minors or in one case I believe, due ti injury will not play until next year. Certainly not invested in B.U., an education or the hockey program.
    Unfortunately a very poor reflection on the head coach and coaching staff. I can only imagine what went on behind the scenes. Certainly not going to get the truth on this blog.
    Compounding the preceding are the social media comments made by former Terrier Colby Cohen concerning poor coaching issues being one of the factors why the players left early. I met Colby on a few occasions and found him to be very transparent. In particular he was the only one from B.U. that defended his coach in the print media regarding the fake news Globe stories regarding the alleged sex parties at Agganis Arena. He unequivocally stated he was there and it did not happen. Why let the truth ruin a headline grabbing story. Furthermore these exact sentiments were also expressed on social media by two former B.U. sport reporters that covered the team.
    Another important concern is that CHN stated that B.U. incoming Freshman class does not have the quality or quantity of the recent ones.

34. For clarification after business I left out the word days. Also the sentiments expressed by the former B.U. sport reporters were about poor coaching being an issue. These are their thoughts not mine. Although honestly I agree with them.
    This was not rebuilding year. Preseason predictions unanimously picked B.U.as atop team in the not only the East but the entire country! (Remember 12 NHL draft picks)

35. Frozen if you want guys to stay you have to hope Nhl teams don’t pull from them so let’s see about this class CHN was wrong about this past years team everyone reminded me every blog. Also nhl teams make push for players after 3 years because they don’t want them to be free agents. I know a lot about jake but for the sake of this blog and his privacy I will say this he is graduating he could graduate this moment and he’s coming back this summer to continue graduate school. Both Fabro and Krys took summer classes and are extremely close to graduating so school was and is important to these kids. Bu hockey is important to these kids but in the end a decision has to be made and I’m sure they made the best decision they could. I’m proud of all of them and I will continue to follow there careers, but now I’m on to next year I can’t defend the freshman because I don’t know a thing about any of them. I do know our coaching staff definitely knows how to evaluate talent. I know this will get the attention of Vinnie but I honestly believe with a young team we should ease into the schedule. The past two years we played the iron. Vinnie says I’m a poor sport but I firmly believe our schedule killed us this year if your inexperienced and you face dominant older teams early and loose that won’t help confidence. I honestly believe if we played some of the teams we lost too later in the season the results would be different 🐾

36. Colin,
    Please for your own benefit stop making excuses. Who made up the schedule? The players who left took the easy way out and with exception of Dante Fabbro certainly cannot add. A B.U scholarship is worth more after taxes than an AHL salary. I wish they should as much perseverance leaving the building as when they were representing B.U. on the ice. Did not see any other college lose four undergraduates in one day. Its that an NCAA record?
    Personally, with all do respect I am ashamed of them. Certainly support the thoughts on social media of poor coaching. It shows there true feelings about the program.

37. colin,

i never said you were a poor sport for saying that our schedule was filled with the iron. just that you never tip your cap to an opponent who is flat out better. i do agree with you, given how young we always are, that we should try to ease into the season with a few easier opponents.

great post, Frozen Out. i learn a lot from your blogs

38. so we got players leaving in droves and BC’s David Cotton has decided to return. the guy had 23 goals. that just SUCKS

of course, colin will probably say Cotton sucks because he is never a hater

39. and Fox is returning to Harvard, but he sucks too. a carolina product as is Cotton. but they sign our guy, Fabbro. damn

40. i had that wrong. fabbro is nashville

41. Well not too many players leave Ivy schools early. So that’s not a reasonable comparison. And BC is about the last school you can look at for getting things to go their way for players and recruits. Year after year it’s one disaster after the other … Milano, Bracco, Tolvanen, etc. Now they finally got Wahlstrom but he’s leaving too.

Yes, it sucks that Cotton will be coming back to BC. Slight, and I mean that facetiously, in that Cotton was a sixth round pick. Teams will be much more likely to encourage their lower round picks to stay in school than guys like Fabbro, Jake and Krys … who were top-two round picks. Having said that, I applaud BC in finding diamonds in the rough. That’s what we need to do … well do it more often.

42. Anyone hear about the FOH banquet?

43. I have been told it was moved to April 27🐾

44. Glenn,
    you better be careful about what you say on this blog, especially in praise of BC: “Having said that, I applaud BC in finding diamonds in the rough.” if colin sees, that, you will be accused of being a traitor. very bad, very bad

also, how come brittany miller has left? seems like there is some disarray going on. i expect Albie and his staff to find some diamonds in the rough this summer. we need to replenish

45. Vinnie you just don’t get it. I don’t like bc because they are our arch rival it’s not a personal thing. They run a great program I met and enjoyed talking with Joe Woll the past few years as well as Casey Fitzgerald every summer I run into Colin White I have friends who played for that college. Year in and year out they are competitive so I have no personal issue with bc other then them being bc. My issue against your huskies is the way they conduct themselves. I have found under Coach York that bc wins and looses with class. Northeastern acts like fools . This is just my opinion but I base it off of what I see your entitled to think they are the greatest team ever. Glenn I agree with your points and take no offense to what you write not only do I respect your opinions on this page but I know how supportive of the program you are. Go bu🐾

46. Vinnie,
    Extremely interesting that Brittany Miller has left. I certainly wish her well. Some disarray ? It seems like a very dysfunctional family. I always believed their might be a toxic environment behind the scenes. No proof and hate to be negative but a team with 12 NHL draft picks should not finish with an under .500 record.
    Not much of a legacy for the players that left and the few that graduated. 0 BeanPot titles , I Hockey East Title and 0 Frozen Four appearances. Clearly the program is trending in the wrong direction with the overall record going in the wrong direction in each of the last four years.
    It is very disturbing that social media is calling out the coaching staff. This cannot be good for Albie or the rest of the staff. Wonder if there wii be any significant changes. No need for any type of celebratory break up brunch this year. Rather invest those funds in finding student athletes.
    Any body else enjoy the Boston University Bruins crushing the Rangers last night? Plenty of time for you know who and Albie to play golf in April.

• I enjoyed it too … but only because I am laser focused on getting either Hughes or Kakko in June!

47. “the greatest team ever.” really? that is what you got from my acknowledging their beanpot and HE titles. never said that. but i tip my cap to their 27 wins. that is nice accomplishment for any team. as far as the off ice stuff, i never saw it, so my comments were just directed towards their on ice achievements

48. now Les Q is gone and so is Brittany Miller. sounds like a big shake up. i guess Albie did not think his staff was the best in college hockey the way some bloggers do

49. also, Colin, how about the racist remark one of the BC players made to the PC player? now don’t tell me it was never made. you call that class? hmmmmm

50. Best of luck to Brittany! She was an asset to the program and she will be missed! TK out!

51. Vinnie,
    I am happy the coaching staff is changing because it simply did not work last year. Albie must realize that the team must rebound next year or his tenure will be short.
    The ugly racial incident was covered up by Hockey East and the Beagles. Lost a lot of respect for Jerry York. I believe the alleged player received no punishment or suspension.

52. Glenn,
    I am a Bruins fan so if you are happy with the Rangers so be. It was interesting that KPD of the globe mentioned slower than expected development or progress prevented the trading of players sooner. Those were his thoughts no mine.

• Hi Larry. Yes, VERY happy with the Rangers this season. My worst fear was that they would be a middling team. Their job this year was to suck. That’s too bad but unlike college sports, there is a big reward in pro sports for finishing at or near the bottom. I am a “Play Crappo for Kakko” kind of guy LOL. Most of the reviews for Quinn have been quite favorable so far here in NY. He has definitely had a positive impact on many of the younger players. AV, the old coach, would not play the young guys. Quinn has benched some of the young guys when he needs to send a message but they usually come back and play better. A former BU commit, Tony D’Angelo has thrived under Quinn. The way I see it, Quinn has an unusually long leash here in NY. I’ve never heard the Rangers accept that they are in a rebuild but am thrilled they are done with trying to win with band-aids and resurrecting players who are at the end of their careers. Four years of not having a first-round pick has killed us. Thankfully we are now trading for picks instead of trading them away. Now if the NYR have a crappy year next season, then all bets are off!

53. the Les report might have been fake news

54. Vinnie,
    More bad news, according to Jeff Cox, Shane Bowers just left the building.

55. Breaking News, according to Jeff Cox, Shane Bowers has left the building. Somebody please wake up Albie,

56. So Bowers is leaving too. By itself, not a huge loss but coupled with the other defections it isn’t looking good for next year. We will soon see just how good the “best coach in the country” really is. TK out!!

57. I think Bowers by himself is a really big loss. This season his numbers were far from impressive but I expected him to be a point-per-game guy … or even better in 2019-2020. Harper, Curry, Farabee and Bowers would have been expected to create a lot of offense next season. Now half of them are gone. Besides, Bowers was responsible and smart in all three zones. As star-studded as the incoming freshman class will be, I don’t see their efforts being fruitful without Farabee and Bowers. I hope I get proven wrong.

• Bowers is just another small loss. Yes, much would have been expected of him as one of the few returning upperclassmen who can actually play a little. He hasn’t shown why he is a 1st round pick. He had a significant drop off in scoring ( Harperesque possibly) between his two years. Where did you get a clue that that would change? # Rumpswab # constant apologist TK out!!

• TK, you’ve got to be kidding or clueless about Bowers. So he had a down year. News flash … so did our team. He is a major loss. There’s no reason to think he wouldn’t have been a point-per-game guy next season. Not every college player has a jump in every successive season. If you paired him with Mastrosimone, or one of the other standout frosh coming in next season, he would have been highly productive. Am I mistaken or weren’t you the one with such keen insight on Greenway and how his BU career wasn’t going anywhere?

• Rumpswab, Bowers clearly regressed. What guarantees do you have that Mastrosimone won’t be Bellows 2nd edition? Greenway sucked until late January then flipped the switch. With his talent and size, he could have been a far better college player than he was. Try not to project greatness onto these kids until they earn it at this level.
          TK out!!!

58. a couple of items:

to Frozen Out’s point about about being a Bruins fan, me too. hate all teams New York. hope the Rangers lose every game for the rest of the year. nothing personal, Quinnie

star-studded freshman class. big friggin deal. too young, too inexperienced, and too physically weak. THEN THEY LEAVE!

i hope i am wrong, but next year is going to SUCK. i hear we are getting Lackey from Harvard as a grad transfer. Mr Albie and the best coaching staff in the nation better find some diamonds in the rough this summer

all these players (some expected ) plus Brittany leaving just feels fishy to me. not sure whether to laugh or cry over that false rumor that Len is leaving. we need a more dynamic, hungry assistant coach

also, i noticed this year that at every game all 3 coaches were on the bench. during the previous regime, one coach was always on the road during the weekends scouting players. i think the needs to change

Go NU, and Go Harvard (i am pissed at Umass for their pathetic performance against BC in the semis.)

59. Vinnie and Frozen Out, You may not know that Glenn is a Manhattan resident (suburb), so it is quite natural, and completely acceptable, for him to be a Rangers fan. PSD

• Thanks Paul! Yes, I live in White Plains, 25 miles north of Madison Square Garden. I was raised in Queens .. an outer borough to the east of Manhattan.

60. I agree he can root for his teams.

My point is they if DQ went to any other nhl team I would root for them. Even the islanders but not the Manhattan teams in any sport

• i thought we agreed never to use the initials D.Q. EVER again, except when referring to Dairy Queen?

61. sonofcaesarcarlaci

With Bowers now gone my points about our recruiting are even more true. On one hand if these guys were so not committed to BU maybe it is good that they are gone. Check the +, – stat next to almost all the players. Not good. Get some guys in here who want to play BU Hockey. To get better we only have to be above .500 next year.

62. Poor reporting by Cox . I’m glad coach is back don’t worry about bu hockey it’s a compliment that so many of our players are signing pro deals. I would love to have them back but as I have stated many times a offer to play professional hockey is sometimes a offer a kid can’t pass up. I’m not here to judge a kid for pursuing his dream. In the end a player does what he thinks is best for him and I always support a players decision and wish them the best. In saying all this I have said before we need a mix of young highly touted players and some older grinders who will relish the role of being a player at bu. Everyone is talking about who has left let’s talk about guys who are still here. Curry Amonte chirametta Crotty who will be our muscle on the blue line Farrance great skater Quercia Harper will be back to his old form . Chabot and his leadership. They will be working very hard with coach Czyeck I have no doubt under this coaching staff this team will be ok.

63. What is left is bunch of average at best players that would be on the third or fourth line on any good team. Some would not even dress.
    If they players that left were going directly to the NHL I have no issues with them leaving. There is only one in the group that left that meets that criteria. (Fabbro).
    I always judge people by their action not words. So the rest are a bunch of selfish , self centered, pampered cry babies who quit on the program. Anybody who gave up college eligibility to play in the AHL should not go to college. Unless the environment was so toxic and the coaching staff so inept that did not want to waste another year here and felt that this was the best path to the NHL. If that is the case then the program is in serious jeopardy! Unfortunately these were the thoughts echoed by two former writers for this site and a former Terrier hockey hero.

64. chirametta??? Are you serious? 4th liner at best. Unless the best coaching staff in hockey can come up with some top 6 players over the summer, this year’s team will be worse than last year’s team.

65. Larry, two of those guys, not one, are going right to the NHL … Fabbro and Farabee (I know he has his injury so I don’t expect him to play for the Flyers until the autumn). So, let’s take Oettinger: He’s a goalie. No way is a goalie going directly from NCAA to NHL. Do you remember Thatcher Demko of BC? Do you remember his pathway to the NHL (which is only beginning now LOL)? As for Chad Krys, like most players who sign after several years of college, he’ll have a few shuttles between AHL Rockford and Chicago until he settles into the Blackhawks lineup. Do you think he’s not playing in the NHL at all next year? IMO he will get some chances next season. He couldn’t do that if he was at BU. Even though the AHL is loaded with players who’ve played several years of NCAA hockey, you seem to create a narrative that it only happens here at BU.

Now I will concede to you, after the departure of Bowers, BU Hockey has serious problems. Every departure until him was expected and would not at all have been a fatal blow for next season. I am still a BU alum, fan and supporter but I have to sound the alarm.

And to Vinnie … yes, a star-studded freshman class is a big friggin’ deal. Think of the impact of Eichel, Keller, McAvoy, Tkachuk, etc. The problem is when we get Crone, Bellows and (hopefully I will retract the following name after next season) Wise. The problem is when we don’t have highly productive sophomores and juniors staying around to mesh on top-six lines with superstar frosh.

66. Glenn,
    Except for the Eichel year this program has vastly underachieved. Two NHL budding stars Charlie Mc. and Clayton K. produced zero championships the one year they played together. Furthermore it is my humble opinion that you are better off in college then in the AHL. Especially if you have not graduated.
    Adam Fox (Harvard’s best player and NHL ready) is returning next year like wise Dave Cotton(23 goals) (at least AHL ready)
    I told you that the program was in disarray and free falling prior to the season . Do you believe me now or is even thing still awesome.

• Larry, it might be your humble opinion … and Jack Parker’s too … and for that matter even mine. However, that’s not necessarily the opinion of many NHL GM’s. Of course there are exceptions, like Eichel and Keller, but they often feel that the more demanding AHL schedule is another step in the player’s development.

Of course in the case of players who are most likely going to be career AHL guys and only get a “cup of coffee” in the NHL, I agree with you wholeheartedly. For them, it’s insane to leave college early and forego the free education.

67. You guys talk about playing in the Ahl as a bad thing. If your the worst player on a Ahl roster your one hell of a hockey player. You can make a great living in the Ahl . So again it’s the right decision for some people that said . Yes I do like our core players and frozen and Vinnie keep disrespecting there talents give them fuel to there fire. Last night it donned on me that this group is so passionate about next year I can’t wait to prove you Vinnie northeastern and anyone else wrong. As I assume grown men how can you come on here knocking student athletes like you do I just don’t get it.

68. the reason, I brought up the cheremata comment is because you make these outrageously stupid comments about these players being all world. ridiculous. perhaps if you got a realistic grip, then there would be no need for me to set the record straight.

i have no problem being proven wrong. i admt it. you never do. all year long we had to read your insipid comments about how the year before they rallied to win the HE title. you kept predicting it would happen again. how did that turn out, Colin Coolaid?

for those who want to talk hockey and not propaganda, it looks like we signed a grad transfer from Brown

69. Colin,
    The same person who made disparaging remarks about student athletes from Northeastern, Massachusetts and Lowell is now criticizing me for my truthful commentary on this year team. Didn’t you applaud the harassment of Lowell student athletes and fans after B.U.ended their season?
    The AHL is a miserable lifestyle. Salary worth less then a B.U. Scholarship (after taxes), cheap hotels and long bus rides. The real possibility that hockey goon will attempt to ruin a career. If you don’t produce they go to next prospect. Also politics by the organization is a reality. Do not believe me then ask Matt Gilroy.