Third period comeback not enough as Terriers fall to UConn 3-2 in OT

Coming off of five consecutive defeats, the Boston University men’s hockey team nearly stole a victory late from the University of Connecticut, but were ultimately defeated by the hosts in overtime, 3-2.

“That’s a tough one to take,” said Terrier head coach Albie O’Connell.

BU (10-15-3, 8-8-2 Hockey East) fell victim to another slow start, allowing 13 shots on goal to their five in the first period and surrendering three penalties in the opening eight minutes alone. UConn (9-17-2, 4-12-2 Hockey East) were able to cash in on the second man advantage, as senior forward Karl El-Mir tipped in a shot from junior defenseman Philip Nyberg to get the Huskies on the board first at 7:06.

“Good things [happen] when you’re at the net and you shoot the puck,” said O’Connell.

The Terriers finally showed some life on a power play towards the end of the period, but it would be the Huskies who would tally the game’s next goal. With 2:09 left in the frame, junior defenseman Wyatt Newpower tossed in a shot from range that got through a crowd and found the back of the BU net, making the lead 2-0 at the first intermission.

While BU could not cut into the deficit in the second period, the Terriers did show some tenacity, mainly through physicality after the whistle from junior forward Patrick Curry and senior forward Ryan Cloonan. However, freshman forward Joel Farabee would receive a 10-minute game-misconduct penalty for his role in a scuffle 30 seconds before the buzzer.

“UConn always plays physical,” said Coach O’Connell. “I thought we matched our competitiveness.”

The middle stanza saw few clear-cut chances, maintaining the 2-0 score line going into the final 20 minutes. Junior netminder Jake Oettinger made a pair strong saves on El-Mir efforts late in the second frame, while a breakaway from sophomore forward Shane Bowers was denied by freshman keeper Tomas Vomacka, as well as the ensuing the rebound chance for Curry.

According to O’Connell, “[Vomacka] gave [UConn] every chance to win the game.”

Trailing by two goals into the third, the Terriers finally got one back just past the halfway point in the period. Soaring in from Vomacka’s right side, junior forward Patrick Harper circled the net and snuck in a wrap-around attempt for his third goal of the season, with assists credited to the defensive pairing of junior Dante Fabbro and sophomore David Farrance.

Still down one with time winding down, the Terriers would eventually find their equalizer off the stick of Patrick Curry with just over a minute to play. Farrance and Fabbro linked up for the assists once again, with the former slinging a pass across the attacking zone for Curry to slam in for his team-leading 11th goal of the season, sending the game beyond regulation time.

“We pushed hard to win tonight,” said Coach O’Connell.

BU had the momentum into overtime, but the Terrier excitement would be short-lived. 51 seconds into the extra frame, freshman forward Jáchym Kondelík threw in a shot from range that was knocked down by Oettinger, but junior forward Alexander Payusov was right there to tap in the uncontested rebound and keep the coveted Hockey East points in Connecticut.

“That’s a frustrating one,” said O’Connell. “For it to end the way it did – wow.”

It was déjà vu in multiple ways for the Terriers. Last season, BU came away from their visit to Connecticut with an overtime loss as well. In more recent memory, BU’s overtime surrender brought back memories of Northeastern’s OT win over the Terriers in Beanpot play just two weeks ago, in which the game-winner also came exactly 51 seconds into the extra period.

“It is what it is,” said Coach O’Connell. “The only thing we can do is be ready for tomorrow.”

Still in search of the elusive victory to break the losing skid, the Terriers will return to Agganis Arena for a rematch with UConn on Saturday, 2/16 at 7pm.

1. Sad to see the season close out in this way. Doesn’t seem like Albie has any answers for recent skid.

2. sonofcaesarcarlaci

I did not think this team would be so average. Recruiting has to get better. Albie says we matched them in toughness / Really ?? I see the woman won the Beanpot. Maybe we can use some of them going forward to bring some grit to the team. What really bothers me as I see next year and forward no change as we will be weaker next year it would seem. Sad.

3. Son of CC,
    The team is clearly below average from the top down. They have become the B.U. Tomato cans. Patsies at home and road kill away. 10 NHL draft picks averages one win per pick.
    Clearly recruiting alleged hockey heroes that play like zero is not the key to success.
    Undisplined play and fundamentally flawed. A power les power play.
    It is truly sad and I am ashamed of them. This is not all Albie’s fault as he was left with a mess that was created by an ignorant, arrogant , dishonest individual that was supposed to a fault by a clueless , inept A.D. A lethal combination that dismantled the FOH and every other outside organization that assisted the Hockey program.
    Fund raising, attendance and alumni are down and many legacy donors have left the program.

4. Just had a great dinner in the friends room . I like our AD I like our coach . I’m here to the end in support of this team if you lost interest in this program head on down the street. This program is strong we have the right AD and coach seasons come along that don’t meet expectations but that’s sports this season is not over yet and when it does end coach will make moves to improve the program. Folks are not being realistic attacking AD and coach it’s his first year. If you have a political agenda against the AD or program just come out and announce it and who you are if not hope on the green line and go watch bc play. This blog should be for bu fans not part time only when things are going right fans. I’m a true fan win or loose I want abandon this program no matter how many games they win or loose 🐾

5. i just read this stat about the current top 50 goal scorers in college hockey. only ONE is a freshman and he is 21. my point is that you can’t win with freshman which BU thinks they can.

Colin Koolaid, if i am going down the street i am heading to huntington ave to watch the two time defending champs Huskies

6. Colin, I applaud your commitment and loyalty. Your heart, along with most others on here, is in the right place. This team is still trying to find its identity. The next 3 games will tell it all. Home ice is still in reach. We really need Bobo back soon though. It must be a concussion, what else would take this long. TK out!

7. Good shutout tonight! One thought for next season: If we lose both Farabee and Bowers … it’s over before it starts.

8. Colin,
    Record speaks for itself. Both A.D. and coach are in trouble of course they need your support. I believe both Farabee and Bowers are gone after this year.
    11-15-3, Please do not warm up the Duck Boats.

9. that is impossible Glenn, we have the greatest coach in college hockey. just ask Kolin Koolaid

in addition to those two guys, i say we could very well lose krys, farrance (he is not going to keep paying his way), farabee,

again i point out this stat: among the current top 50 goal scorers in college hockey, only ONE is a freshman and he is 21. can not win with freshman. and those guys coming her from st sebs, better not come directly to comm ave. the prep leagues have weakened and those guys will be lost