Men’s hockey heads west for bout against Arizona State

After knocking off Merrimack College in consecutive nights last weekend, the Boston University men’s hockey team heads into the final weekend of January with fresh experiences on the horizon.

For the first time all season, the Terriers (11-11-2, 9-7-2 Hockey East) enter a weekend series having swept their previous opponent. Not only that, but this weekend’s foe is not just any ordinary Hockey East competition, as BU visits the Valley of the Sun to face Arizona State University.

The Terriers touched down in Arizona Wednesday evening, set to face off against the Sun Devils (7-14-5) twice this weekend. Friday night’s contest will be held at Gila River Arena, just across the street from the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale where the New England Patriots trumped the Seattle Seahawks 28-24 in Super Bowl XLIX.

On Saturday, the two teams will head 30 minutes southeast to Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe for the series finale.

Facing Hockey East competition is nothing new for the Sun Devils. In fact, their last two weekends have been spent hosting teams from New England.

Being that the Pac-12 Conference does not have a men’s hockey division, Arizona State is an independent hockey program, allowing them to schedule series against teams from across the country.

In October, the Sun Devils split a two-game series with the University of Massachusetts Amherst. They met up with then-No. 11 Providence College last month at Pittsburgh’s Three Rivers Classic and were trumped 6-0.

Most recently, Arizona State hosted the University of Massachusetts Lowell and another New England troup, Quinnipiac University.

The matchup against the River Hawks (14-11, 9-7 Hockey East) yielded mixed results, similar to how the Terriers fared when they faced Lowell the second weekend of December.

The Sun Devils fell 4-0 in the first meeting before flipping the script and hammering the River Hawks by the same margin the subsequent evening.

1. Please provide any updates on Krys. Great win this evening. Very disappointed that it was not viewable … or listenable.

2. Son of Caesar Carlaci

Yea. I had to follow on your “Tweets” here for the updated scores. Thanx so much for doing that guys. I assume you were getting the information from someone you knew at the game or is it a press feed ? Whatever, thax again. There must have been a web problem at the arena as Bernie was not on and that is highly unusual. Maybe if he was on REAL RADIO which runs on phone lines we could have followed the game. Is Krys hurt ?

3. Son of Caesar Carlaci

4. Good morning SoCC! This internet radio is ridiculous (often doesn’t work and sometimes, when it does, I am not even home). I definitely want to have our games back on real radio. As for Krys, my understanding is that the five-minute power-play that we enjoyed in the first period, was a result of a hit on Chad Krys. I heard he left the game and didn’t return. I just watched the Quinn post-game interview and was surprised he said nothing about that situation.

5. Son of Caesar Carlaci

Thanx, Glenn. Yea, I am a LONG time listener of the BU Hockey radio. I would often listen in my car or on a portable while on a jog years ago. Who listens on their phone. And the strength of the sound is awful on my computer but otherwise great on any other site. BU needs a shake up in the Athletic Department big time. Also only one game on TV all year on NESN or other broadcast channels ? And they wonder why there are no fans in the seats. Hope Krys is alright.

6. I could not make this trip, so I can’t comment on the play of the terriers but they are making a little run of it. I had a feeling they would. U mass in there barn will be another big test as Lowell providence and Maine are trying to secure bye’s and home ice. It is very important for us to get both. As for the internet vs radio I would love for a station to pick up BU it would be great. Bernie in my opinion is great at broadcasting hockey. Let’s keep positive and go bu?

7. I always listen on my computer and never on my phone. Only recently have I began having technical difficulties. Anyway, I just can’t fathom what the argument would be for not having the BU hockey games on a radio station. I mean, what’s the down side? Can’t they put it on WBUR?

8. Son of Caesar Carlaci

Glen, they actually had it on WBUR but the people there thought it too declasse to have a bunch of sweaty males on their station. As to Colin above : It is a big deal not to have radio coverage as we are not always near a computer and the quality and reliability, as we saw this weekend, are compromised. For reasons I can not understand the digital quality of the audio is awful even though I never have a problem with my computer when on other sites. Also, the fact that they are not on regular broadcast stations the games are many times not listed in the paper. Thus we have another way, including almost no TV coverage of the Terriers this year,that the team has no exposure to the public. Not good for fans in the seats.

9. I’m totally for more games on tv and would be thrilled if BU could land on a radio dial. BU does have there tv show on nesn . College hockey broadcasts are down throughout the country. I think Billy Jaffe with nesn does a fantastic job with college hockey and explaining the college game to kids. In my opinion leagues need to market college hockey more. It’s a great affordable game. BU is not the only program in the country without a radio station and all games on tv . It does not mean we can’t one day get that. BU in my biased opinion provides a great hockey experience. One might ask how to do this. My approach would be similar to what MLB does get the kids in the rink. MLB realizes if you put a 7yr old in front of a tv with a baseball game on the kids attention span is gone in minutes but if you make tix available and you get kids into the parks and promote the game you will hook the kids there friends , parents and there friends. BU needs to get out into the community to youth hockey rinks spread some tix to young kids while selling some to parents. Word will spread. Create a supply and demand issue and radio and tv will follow. Go BU ?

10. I was at the Arizona games and the krys hit was dirty and away from the play puck was already gone and he just saw him coming but couldnt. Move quick enough saw him next night in sling … 3-4 week injury … Good run we are on lets keep it going… Fridays game is on mean …