Terriers release 2017-18 home schedule

Terrier fans can already begin planning their visits to Agganis Arena as the Boston University men’s hockey team announced their home schedule for 2017-18 on Wednesday afternoon.

Luckily for the BU faithful, the team is scheduled to begin their season earlier than ever before. For the first time since their inception, the Terriers will begin their regular season before October. BU will kick off its season at home for the first time since 1992-93 as they play host to Union on September 30.

The home crowd will be treated to numerous high-profile tilts this coming season, beginning with the Terriers’ jam-packed October slate featuring a handful of formidable opponents. On October 13 and 14, Minnesota State, the No. 1 overall seed in the 2015 NCAA Tournament, will pay a visit to Agganis Arena for a two-game series. This set marks the first ever matchup between the Mavericks and Terriers.

Just two weeks later, the stakes will be ratcheted up even further, as defending national champion the University of Denver will serve as a measuring stick for the Terriers. The Pioneers raced through the NCAA Tournament after being handed the No. 1 overall seed this past spring, and look to be one of the favorites to reach the Frozen Four in 2018. In what is likely to be a contest pitting two teams ranked in the top ten of the NCAA polls, BU will seek its fourth consecutive home victory over Denver.

The Terriers should not have to wait long to host another highly-ranked opponent. After the month of November, in which BU hosts three Hockey East opponents in the span of eight days (Providence College, Northeastern University, and University of New Hampshire), the rink heats up in the month of Christmas with visits from both Boston College (Dec. 2) and University of Massachusetts Lowell (Dec. 9). The Terriers’ crosstown enemies finished 16th in the USCHO.com rankings at the conclusion of 2016-17 while the River Hawks ended the season two slots above the Terriers at No. 4.

After an exhibition against the U.S. Under-18 National Team to begin 2018, BU will jump right back into Hockey East competition on January 6 with a matchup against the University of Maine. This is followed by a second home tilt against the Friars, who finished 15th in the USCHO.com rankings last season, before Merrimack College returns to Agganis Arena on January 20. The Warriors stunned the Terriers in the last week of January last season, blowing out BU 3-1 on home ice before shocking Hockey East with a 4-1 victory on Commonwealth Ave. three nights later.

The Hockey East competition continues in February, as BU will host University of Massachusetts Amherst on February 9 before a two-game home set against the University of Vermont to close out the month. The Terriers earned a split in their two games in Burlington, Vt. last season.

1. am i missing something? where is the game at madison square nov 25? Also, MGM does not have it listed under november 25 events. BU tix office is waiting word on how and when to sell.

any thoughts terrier nation

2. PS – i see this is just the home schedule. sorry

3. I get most excited about seeing (in person) teams we have never played. So, I’ll be all over that two-game series against Minnesota State.

4. Hey Vinnie,

Can you say upstate NY