Live Blog: BU vs. Harvard in Beanpot Tournament final

In the words of the late Jim Prior: “The teams are ready … soooooooo let’s play hockey!”

After a week of anticipation, the No. 4 Boston University men’s hockey team will take on No. 3 Harvard University in the title match of the 65th Beanpot Tournament.

We’re live at TD Garden all night for coverage, and puck drop is set for 7:30 p.m. If Beantown’s winter storm kept you at home, you can watch live on NESN or TSN2.

Either way, be sure to follow along via our live blog below!

Live Blog BU vs. Harvard – Beanpot final

Tonight’s Lines

1. Well, Harvard earned that win. Let’s not forget they are ranked #3 PW and BU #5 (mixed that up in my last post). SO, technically, the better team won! And that was only because BU played terrible most of the game, stupid penalties, phantom penalties, 2 SOG in the 1st period. Shall I go on? They need to stop this skid Friday night!!
    Still love my Terriers!!
    GO BU!

2. Kudos to the Harvard team and coaching staff. Their players were given a game plan intended to take away our offense, and the shots on goal are proof of how well it was designed. Additionally, they played the game for sixty minutes with exceptional motivation, desire, and resilience. They were better prepared, and executed well. Ouch! PSD

3. In the same way that Olsson’s injury took the life out of us in the 1/27 Merrimack game, I felt we lost a lot of our fight after Hickey needed to be assisted off the ice.

4. Very disappointing night. Terriers were not ready for this one but should we be surprised after losing 2 games to Merrimack?Lets hope we can keep all of our players and continue to grow as a team over the next few years. We need to do it this way as has B.C. and Harvard. Harvard has improved steadily over the past few years and now has a great senior laden team that may win more trophies this season. Terriers not mature enough to win anything this season. Just possibly HE tourney since the league this year is rather weak.

• So If u already have you mind made up they bu is not winning anything why u bother on the blog and watching the games ?? I’m just curious. .ty

5. I would like to see Keller, Bellows and Harper as either the first or second line.

6. Son of Caesar Carlaci

The senior factor very important. It looked to me (I saw whole game again) that a varsity team was playing a freshman group. And in fact that was the case. Yea, I agree with “Vito” above that HE only chance for us for hardware. National Championship out of question sad to say. One needs upperclassmen to win at the end. Might have to re look how we recruit.

• I agree with the importance of having skilled older players (seniors). Of course Harvard will always have the advantage of having fewer players leave early (of those players who are NHL ready). I completely disagree that the national championship is out of the question for us. Maybe it’s fair to say that it’s not at all a lock … like many of us expected. Don’t forget we beat Harvard 5-3 this season.

7. McAvoy played one of the more undisciplined and selfish games I can remember in recent years…CANNOT take those penalties while on the PK…he did it TWICE! I like Charlie but he needs to reign his game in

• He was atrocious and out of sorts. So was Greenway. Sloppy, lazy and undisciplined! Those two need to get their heads out of their rumps or NO NHL team will want them!

8. Yes Caesar we need to look at our recruiting. Maybe Quinn and Co. recruit players who are too good and will not stay for longer than a year or two! Our senior classes of the last couple of years has not been numerous partly due to this fact. Will , for example, Keller, Greenway, McAvoy, or JFK remain. If so we can build the program steadily with another good class coming in next year, if not we’re stuck on square one again with no chance to improve and probably regress. it’s a tough way to run a program, just renting excellent players for one year.

9. Our recruiting is as good as anyone in the country. This team can win now. We need to play better , stop making excuses our freshman have a year under them. I still think this team will be fine. I love the coaching staff and the kids are high character individuals with high end talent let’s see what happens ?

10. Agreed Colin BUT…they better get their heads on fast! They seem very out of sorts since the USA tournament. Maybe that all went to their heads and they think they are just going “pro” so it doesn’t matter??”

11. I don’t think that’s the case Sean I have talked too many of them throughout the season. I know all the kids on that world junior teams. They care very much for bu now I can’t speak for what they will or plan on doing after the year is over but for now they are pouring everything they have into this team. I think allot of this teams problems are mental. I’m sure coach is working to fix it. I’m expecting to see a hungrier team on Friday .?

• well that’s good to know. Maybe it is mental, because they are NOT the same team they were before. I’m expecting 2 big wins this weekend as well!!

12. It’s amazing how negative these fans really are on here wow its insane some may say it’s the truth etc but with all the problems u guys say bu has YET WE RANKED IN TOP 5 AND PAIRWISE ALL YEAR!!!! WOW AND AS FAR AS WINNING ANYTHING EVERYONE KNOWS THAT ONCE THE PLAYOFFS START IT’S A BRAND NEW SEASON AND A HOT GOALIE AND GOOD DEFENSE WILL WIN U SOME GAMES I HAVE ALWAYS HEARD DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!! SO U CAN CONTINUE TO DOG THEM THE COACH THE PLAYERS IT’S ALL GOOD ..I’LL KEEP GOING TO EVERY GAME CHEERING THEM ON AND LET’S SEE HOW THE POSTSEASON GOES .. HEY U COULD GO CHEER FOR BC AND YORK …. I’M DONE … GO BU…SEE U FRIDAY …

13. There’s no question we have a strong team that’s been highly ranked all season with still a chance to win something significant this year. What’s alarming about this Terrier team is that in a big game for a championship last Monday they were completely outplayed and outshot 48-17 by a team which they had beaten earlier this season. All the goaltending in the world is not going to help when you take foolish penalties and give the opposition, especially Harvard, twice a 5 on 3 advantage.
    This is absurd for such a talented Terrier team.
    The team has to show they want to accomplish something special this season and so far their inconsistency and lack of discipline suggest otherwise. We can only hope this “lesson” serves them well down the stretch.

14. Just a thought … if you go back and look at North Dakota (2016), Providence (2015), Union (2014), etc. … all those teams had consecutive losses and losses against lesser ranked teams during the regular season. Still, all of them got their act together and won the national championship. And another thing, preseason #1 North Dakota, though still comfortably within the Pairwise top-16, has a record of 15-11-3.

15. Those are interesting stats Glenn but remember Union recruits differently from B.U., with older more seasoned players, and Providence benefitted greatly from having the NCAA regionals in Providence and O’Connor’s gaffe in the final.