From The FreeP: BU, fresh off No. 1 ranking, visits Merrimack

bumihvsmaine-35-400x266Fresh off its eighth consecutive win, the Boston University men’s hockey team will travel to Merrimack College on Tuesday night for a rare midweek clash.

Ahead of the game, however, a larger bit of news surfaced surrounding the program: the Terriers are college hockey’s newest No. 1 team.

BU (16-5-2, 9-2-2 Hockey East) last earned this distinction on Dec. 15, 2014, but head coach David Quinn scoffed at the recognition, especially with another two conference points at stake against the Warriors (8-13-3, 2-7-3 Hockey East).

“I pay zero attention to it,” Quinn added. “The only thing that matters is the PairWise [Rankings.]”

Doyle Somerby, BU’s captain and a senior defenseman, said the ranking is exciting, but also struck a similar chord with Quinn.

“We’re just chugging ahead,” Somerby said. “We were No. 1 a couple different times throughout my sophomore year, that national championship run, and we always seemed to slip up. A lot of the older guys here are saying, ‘Don’t even worry about it. Look ahead.’”

For a full version of this article, click here for the complete version on The Daily Free Press.

1. While I’m concerned about us now having that “Bullseye” on our backs, I do feel very proud. I also believe that it might be a good thing for our guys to get used to … before Springtime hockey.

2. Tough barn to play in. we sometimes get caught with the retaliation penalties. Need to stay out of the box. One other thing has cost us up there over the years is bunching up down low in offensive zone and somehow Merrimack floats a pass out over red line and off the guy goes. D needs to be aware of who is sneaking behind them. Go bu?