BU beats UMass Amherst at Frozen Fenway

BOSTON, MA - JANUARY 07: The Terriers celebrate their third goal of the game during the second period of the game between the Boston University Terriers and the UMass Minutemen on January 8th, 2016, at Fenway Park in Boston, MA. (Photo by John Kavouris/Daily Free Press Staff)
(Photo by John Kavouris/Daily Free Press Staff)

While Frozen Fenway was pushed back an extra day due to a Boston-area storm, the event still proved fruitful for BU.

Pegged against the University of Massachusetts Amherst, the Terriers rode through plenty of ups and downs to emerge victorious, 5-3, on Sunday. By the afternoon’s end, four different skaters found the scoresheet, and freshman goaltender Jake Oettinger made 26 saves.

The stars of the day, though, were sophomore forward Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson and sophomore defenseman Charlie McAvoy. The former scored twice, giving him five goals in the last two games, while the latter added a tally on the power play. They were by and far BU’s best players against UMass.

The win pushed BU’s record in Frozen Fenway competition to 2-1, while the squad now is riding a four-game winning streak. Those figures bode well for the Terriers, especially in light of the upcoming home-and-home set against Boston College.

Rivalry week is upon us, Terrier fans.

Highlights

Postgame Press Conference

1. Solid effort today. Now a good week of practice and two good games against bc and this team will be on its way. ?

2. if they beat B.C. twice then we can talk about the Terriers being on their way.

3. Charlie McAvoy was a blast to watch during the world juniors!

4. Beating BC twice? tall order. they got a real good goalie in Woll and a few good snipers: white, fitzgerald, cangelosi etc. if we take stupid penalties, we will be on the short end

i would just love to see us beat them at the Gannis.it seems like they always jump on us early, get a lead, and then we play catch up.even happened when we had Eichel. Our record against them at home is embarrassing. Not sure why that is. any thoughts about that?

• Friend_of_BU_Hockey

I don’t think I’ve ever been able to put a finger on why BU’s record vs. BC at Agganis has been putrid. Since Agganis opened, BU’s record vs BC is:

Home: 3-11-2
      Away: 7-7-1
      Neutral: 7-8-0

• Yes Vinnie, TWICE! Oettinger allows one (power play) goal in 120 minutes of hockey against BC. So far, so good!

5. Put a W in for tonight!!