Second half of BU’s 2016-17 season brings about cautious optimism

BU currently sits fourth in the PairWise rankings. PHOTO BY JOHN KAVOURIS/ DFP FILE PHOTO

The New Year often brings about new goals, a new perspective on the ebbs and flows of life. For the No. 5 Boston University men’s hockey team, 2017 ushers in two things: the 2016-17 season’s second half and an unwavering outlook.

That’s right – poke around Agganis Arena, the Terriers’ sanctuary, and the same laser-focused rhetoric arises.

“It’s staying in the moment for sure,” said senior forward Nick Roberto. “We didn’t really play a lot of Hockey East games [in the season’s first half], so the schedule is going to be tight with that. Every point matters. A tie here, a loss there really affects us come March when the final seedings come out for playoffs, so you take it game by game.”

For David Quinn, who marshaled his team to a 10-5-2 record throughout the first semester, much of the same held true.

“It’s more you want to win your next game and you want to continue to improve and have good practices and shorten your mentality up and live in the moment,” BU’s fourth-year head coach said. “At the end of the day, if you take care of that, then the big goals will take care of themselves.”

You can catch the rest of the story over on The Daily Free Press.