Confirmed: A.J. Greer departs BU for QMJHL opportunity

Despite conflicting rumors and reports earlier this week, sophomore forward A.J. Greer has departed Boston University and will play for the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, a source confirmed with The Daily Free Press.

USCHO posted earlier Saturday that BU had confirmed his departure. Greer has also been removed from BU’s roster online.

Greer attended a Huskies game on Friday night and later wore the team’s jersey after the game.

Greer had four goals and eight assists in 55 games in his BU career.

The Joliette, Quebec native told La Frontière in Quebec the following (translated from French):

“It’s a great atmosphere. … The coaching staff and the team have helped me in my decision as is the fact that there is great chemistry here…

Anthony John Greer describes himself as a power forward. “I have the skills and am able to play on both sides of the rink. I’m always the guy who works harder and I’m a winner, “he assured.

He believes being able to help the Huskies. “I’ll have to adapt myself to the guys and the league, but I will not change my style of play,” he said.

1. Good riddance…just like with Coyle, I don’t fault the guys for leaving, just don’t do it midseason, Quinn could’ve used that scholarship to bring in somebody who actually wants to be at BU…I find it hard that the coaching staff would slot guys like Cloonan and Lane ahead of Greer if it wasn’t justified…talent alone means nothing if you don’t work hard, based on talent, he should’ve been on the top 2 lines and PP…I’m not naive to say his departure won’t hurt, but I’m not going to miss his dumb penalties

2. Probably forget to add the check cleared. Interesting choice of words about the coaching staff and team chemistry. Perhaps I am more right than wrong.

3. Seems he thinks he’s better than he is and that he deserves more than he’s getting from BU. But I have to agree with Joe…good riddance. Don’t read too much into his comments Larry. He sounds like a spoiled brat. No doubt he was called out on his lack of production and stupid penalties. “I wont change my style of play” Well a penalty is a penalty no matter where you play AJ.

4. i agree with Guest 66. he was probably being called on the fact that he did take dumb penalties and the kid did not like it because he is a prima donna

and his comments contained subtle pot shots at BU – the coaching staff and the team. no class. you want to leave fine, but keep your mouth shut and take the high road. thank the team and the BU coach in the media even if you don’t feel that way. maybe he was part of the “chemistry” dig

here is the ultimate irony – i was talking to this kid’s father in nyc when the team skated in harlem. greer’s mother and father both said how disappointed they were when he decommitted from penn state. i was a bit surprised because i thought BU would be an upgrade in terms of the calibre of hockey, but the father said that his son gave his word and he backed down from his word. he went on to say what good is a person if they don’t stand by their word. pahleeze

that said, his absence mid-season hurts big time. people tend to slough it off, but depth wise we are hurting big time

5. Hope they plan to add players. The loss of Ahti for an extended period of time is worse then Greer leaving. Any update on Olson, Roberto or Matt ?

6. WOW, this new guy (Oskar) seems like a stud … and he’s an older freshman. I’m impressed with the timeliness and quality of this replacement.

7. I AGREE Glenn!!!
    Vincent, spot on!! Funny how they had someone waiting in the wings to swoop in!!
    GO BU!!

8. You will all soon hear the real story behind his departure. Keep an eye out in the news. Story is coming out soon.

9. So long kid and like the “patriots next man up comes into play here… definitely won’t miss his “offense” hahaha … Good luck chump… ? go bu!!!

10. Almost every recent championship team has been built around older players with little or no prospect of ever playing in the NHL. They play for the love of the game, knowing college will be the pinnacle of their hockey careers. Having paid their dues in juniors, they make the most of every shift day in and day out. As a result, they consistently outplay NHL draft picks five or six years their junior who think they are on the fast track to NHL glory and riches. Second round picks like Greer often underestimate how much hard work they have ahead of them to make it.

11. Almost every recent championship team has been built around older players with little or no prospect of ever playing in the NHL. They play for the love of the game, knowing college will be the pinnacle of their hockey careers. Having paid their dues in juniors, they make the most of every shift day in and day out. As a result, they consistently outplay NHL draft picks five or six years their junior who think they are on the fast track to NHL glory and riches. Second round picks like Greer often underestimate how much hard work they have ahead of them to make it.