BU lands ’98-born defenseman Dante Fabbro

A strong 2016 recruit class for Boston University appears to have gotten even better.

Defenseman Dante Fabbro has committed to play at BU, he announced via his Twitter account.

Fabbro (6 foot 1, 185 pounds) was one of the most sought-after defensive recruits to have not committed to a school.

Eligible for the 2016 NHL Draft, he is considered by many pundits to be a top-10 pick in that draft. International Scouting Services has Fabbro ranked No. 8 in its October rankings of 2016 draft-eligible players.

So far this season with the Penticton Vees of the BCHL, Fabbro has 10 points (three goals, seven assists) in 10 games played. He had 33 points in 44 games last year with the Vees at age 16.

Fabbro skated with the Canadian U-18s during the 2015 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament in August, helping the team win a gold medal. The British Columbia, Canada native had reportedly been deciding between BU, Boston College, the University of Minnesota, the University of Denver and the University of North Dakota. He is expected to arrive on Commonwealth Avenue next season, along with fellow blue liners Chad Krys and Vasili Kolias.

1. Here’s a quote from SB Nation, “It’s a bit scary to think of Fabbro and Krys potentially sharing a blue line next season for the Terriers. As it stands today, most outlets have Fabbro solidly within the first round of the 2016 NHL Draft with some ranking him inside the top ten.”

Welcome Dante. Go BU!

2. FIVE of next year’s NHL first round guys will be calling themselves Terriers. That’s one-sixth of 2016 NHL first-rounders! This should be the best incoming class in college hockey history.

3. More evidence that talented defensemen taking the college route want to be mentored by David Quinn.

4. This is really special….It’s getting better and better every day!! I
    m so excited about this program and these coaches and players!

5. Special indeed. When was the last time a D-1 program had the top two defensemen and top two forwards (of those choosing the NCAA route) coming to play for them in the same season? With Krys, Fabbro, Keller and Bellows …. that’s what we should have next October.

6. Let me suggest that Vasili Kolias is no slouch either. Krys, Fabbro and Kolias are super talented. Just can’t hold back my enthusiasm.

Side note, – David, Albie and Scott are doing it without benefit of the so called “full cost stipend”. Great work guys!

7. Is everyone convinced that Quinn has got this program at top level again? Terriers will dominate college hockey for the foreseeable future like they did in the 70’s and 90’s.

8. Yes “Guest”. I have heard that Kolias has some amazing offensive talents … as a d-man … and look forward to watching him. I am very concerned about what this “stipend” issue might do to make the “playing field” uneven. I am not knowledgeable enough to discuss it. Still, I do not want any school to be able to gain advantage from this policy.

9. Son of Caesar Carlaci

Let’s just hope he did not take any high school courses in Russia !!!!! Yea, it would appear that Quinn and company are doing a great job.

10. Future looks very bright and full of talent great pick up … great job Quinn etc…

11. Any time B.U. can attract an NHL top pick away from the team up the street and all other top competitors it is a great day ! Now I hope all these top picks actually are admitted and are part of next years class. Especially the high first rounders that will be tempted by the NHL.

12. there is no question that when you get first and second rounder commits that they might not make it to BU and they will leave early. that is the risk

i guess it comes down to your recruiting philosophy. do want to win a national championship with young studs or the with older players the way union and PC did? there is no right way.

my preference is to find the right blend between the two

ozzie, you must be in heaven with the 730 fri night start

13. I believe that four or five first round picks with possibly three in the top twenty is a record and quite an accomplishment. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that they are in a B. U. uniform next year and not in the NHL.

14. The last three NCCA champions have had very strong senior classes that provided the necessary leadership for success.