Odds and Ends: Playing catch-up

Hey folks. Did you miss us? We certainly missed you!

The past week we’ve had issues with our entire website, which stemmed from our old host. Essentially, the only way to fix this was by switching to a new host. Given the volume of content on the dailyfreepress.com domain, transferring all of the information from the old host to the new one took much longer than we all anticipated.

You might notice that some of our design looks a little different than before — a bunch of our custom design coding got wiped, so we’re in the process of fixing that. But for the moment, getting content brought back to you was a much higher priority.

Naturally, given that we didn’t have a platform to show you all of our content, a whole bunch of BU hockey stuff happened in the past several days. So here’s a gigantic roundup of everything we weren’t able to share with you.

Our sincerest apologies for being out of touch. Hopefully, this transfer avoids any future issues and you guys won’t be left in the dark again. — Sarah

-Last Friday, BU formally announced its incoming seven-person freshman class. No surprises, but we now know what jersey numbers they’ll all wear:

• #1: Max Prawdzik, G
  • #2: Shane Switzer, D
  • #7: Charlie McAvoy, D
  • #8: Ryan Cloonan, F
  • #14: Bobo Carpenter, F
  • #18: Jordan Greenway, F
  • #23: Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, F

-According to the updated roster on GoTerriers, Ahti Oksanen will wear #17 this season. Dillon Lawrence will wear #28.

-Right before our site blackout, we reported that T.J. Ryan has decided to retire from hockey after multiple concussions. I got a chance to chat with him (and his father, Tom) about what went into that decision and what the future looks like for him. Here’s that story.

-Former Terrier Chris Dyment was formally named the new Director of Hockey Operations on Wednesday. The news was first reported by Jeff Cox of SB Nation on Monday. Here’s Judy’s brief for that.

-Cox also ranked all 12 Hockey East schools in terms of recruiting classes. He ranked BU #2.

Looking forward:
-It’s Hockey East Media Day on Monday! All three of us will be there and will have a full writeup of anything important that happens.

-They’ll unveil the preseason coaches’ poll on Monday, too. We all know that polls don’t have that much value (i.e., BU was picked to finish sixth in the conference last season, and we all know how that turned out) but it’s always fun to see what people say and argue about it.

-On that note of polls, the Hockey East Writers and Broadcasters Association poll is expected to be released on Sunday. We’ve already revealed our votes for that on Twitter (Sarah, Judy, Andrew) but we’ll have a post up on Sunday once the results are out.

1. Son of Caesar Carlaci

Please do not ever lose us again ! Please give us some ideas of what the lines may look like. I have already done it but would like you guys to do same. Thanx and welcome “back”

2. A guess at the lines:
    Greer-O’Regan-Baillargeon
    Olsson-JFK-Oksanen (dibs on The Scandinavian Line)
    Greenway-Lane-Roberto
    Phelps-Moran-Carpenter/Cloonan

Re previous comments on coaching staff involvement with fans: In addition to the Midsummer Roundtable last month for BU fans with Greeley sitting in for Quinn, there is an event set for this Wednesday evening (7-8) at The Sunset Cantina: the inaugural Pre-Season Puck Drop Live Podcast with David Quinn and Bernie Corbett. Open to all BU fans. Hearing that another event with the coach—for all FOBUH members—will be announced soon.

3. Another misstep as this events was planned on Yom Kippur which is the holiest day for the Jewish Religion. After a full day of fasting and attending Temple, it is tradition to break the fast in the evening with a family meal. This is the second year in row that an event was planned on this day! Last year it was the preseason game which was even worse because it was 4:00pm in the afternoon. Even the team up the street would not be as ignorant.
    I was told that the podcast faded out after the first fifteen minutes ! Another great job by those in charge.