’98 D Chad Krys announces commitment to BU

Highly regarded defensive prospect Chad Krys announced he will play for Boston University in a tweet on Friday.

Krys played for both the USNTDP U-17 and U-18 teams this past year. For the U-18 team, he had three goals and 17 assists in 22 games. He also played seven games for the U-18 World Juniors team, recording one goal and four assists in that time.

His father, Mark, played for BU from 1987-91, tallying playing time in 135 games.

In the 2016 NHL draft, Krys is expected to be a first-round pick. He is sixth overall in Future Considerations’ rankings.

Krys is expected to arrive at BU in 2016-17. Jake Oettinger, a goaltender who is also expected to attend BU starting in 2016-17, tweeted his congratulations. 

1. I have been hoping for this for a long time. Congrats Chad. Great decision Welcome to BU.

2. On behalf of the BU Hockey fanbase, I extend a warm welcome to Chad Krys! So happy to hear that you are going to be part of the exceptionally talented class of 2016.

3. Welcome to BU hockey chad

4. This news really makes me wonder, if in the history of cawlidge hawkey, has any school ever had four guys taken in the first round of an NHL Draft?

• I’ve been looking through past drafts and there are a bunch of schools with two first-rounders in one year and a couple with three (Wisconsin in 2007 – Brendan Smith, Ryan McDonagh, Kyle Turris; Minnesota in 2006 – Erik Johnson, Phil Kessel, Kyle Okposo; North Dakota in 2005 – T.J. Oshie, Brian Lee, Joe Finley), but it doesn’t look like four from the same school have ever all gone in the same first round. I might have missed it somewhere, but as far as I can tell it’s never happened!

5. Thanks Judy! That was an outstanding job (doing that research). Let’s hope this year’s team has that kind of work ethic. I think they will.

6. Still excited about Chad Krys coming to BU. Still lamenting loss of Max Letunov — I know, but I cannot help but think of what we would have had, but for a “technical” snafu (best way I can put it) by admissions. Changing the subject and looking to the future, any info on whether BU is in the hunt for Oliver Wahlstrom a very talented Maine decommit?

7. Good question. I know from viewing the BC blog that they consider themselves in the running.

8. BC is always in the running they are very good at the recruiting game and have an easier admissions policy for athletes including the enhanced financial aid recently authorized by the NCAA for the so called big 5 conferences. Good reasons why BU should do everything possible to keep David Quinn. He is the antidote and there aren’t many around like him.

9. Before departing for the Rangers, Greeley told a gathering of Terrier fans that BU is definitely in the hunt for Oliver Wahlstrom, as well as other elite ’99s and ’00s. BU was a finalist for defenseman Bode Wilde, who eventually picked Harvard. They’ll almost certainly be watching Krys’s younger brother Luke, also an ’00. While not being called elite at this point, he’s very well-regarded.

10. TBlogger, thanks for that info. Love to hear BU Hockey news as we approach the end of summer. It’s part of ramping up for the new season. Hope to hear more from time to time.