BU, Quinn agree to 5-year contract extension

Boston University Director of Athletics Drew Marrochello announced Thursday that BU has agreed to a five-year contract extension with head coach David Quinn.

The extension comes after Quinn guided the 2014-15 Terrier squad to an 18-win improvement and a spot in the national championship game. He was named the Hockey East Coach of the Year and New England Coach of the Year for his efforts, and was also runner-up for the Spencer Penrose Award, given to the top Division I coach in the nation.

Some quotes from the team release:

“To be honest, David has done exactly what we thought he would with our men’s ice hockey team,” said Marrochello. “We had lofty expectations when we hired him and he has exceeded those with outstanding leadership both on and off the ice. There’s nobody else we’d rather have leading this program.”

“Coming back to BU to serve as head coach of one the premier college hockey programs has been everything I hoped it would be,” said Quinn. “I am looking forward to leading our student-athletes over the next five years and I would like to thank Drew, [senior vice president] Todd Klipp and President Brown for their confidence in our staff. We will continue to strive to be the best program in the country – athletically, academically and socially.”

1. I’m very happy for DQ and for our program.

2. Congrats David. Well Deserved. Smart move BU.

3. Excellent. One good thing the BU Athletic Department has done in many years. Great for Mr Quinn.

4. The program is in excellent hands for the present and future, Go Terriers!