Legacy forward Brady Tkachuk commits to BU

Like his father before him, Brady Tkachuk has committed to play hockey at Boston University. The forward tweeted the news Tuesday night.

“Proud to announce my commitment to Boston University!” Tkachuk wrote. “Thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way!”

USA Hockey announced on April 9 that Tkachuk is signed on to play for the U-17 National Team Development Program for the 2015-16 season and will compete for the NTDP’s U-18 squad the next year as well, scheduling him to arrive on Comm. Ave at the earliest for the 2017-18 season.

Tkachuk, born in 1999, had 43 points in 30 games this past season in the Tier I Elite Hockey League as a member of the St. Louis AAA Blues midget minor program. The 5-foot-9, 154 pounder led his team in points and assists (28), while his goal total (15) was good for third. He also contributed two goals in four games during the playoffs for the Blues.

The St. Louis native had been selected 67th overall by the London Knights during the 2015 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection.

Winger Keith Tkachuk, Brady’s dad, suited up for the Terriers in the 1990-91 season and had 40 points (17-23) in 36 games. He was selected 19th overall by the Winnipeg Jets in the 1990 NHL Draft and also spent time with the Phoenix Coyotes, St. Louis Blues and Atlanta Thrashers, playing 1,201 games and registering 1,065 points (538-527—1,065). Keith also notched 56 points in 89 career playoff games.

1. Great news! Welcome Brady! It would have been awesome if we also landed brother Matthew. At least the latter will never be playing against us (with his recent commitment to London of the OHL).

On an unrelated topic, will this blog be “open for business” during the summer?

• Sarah Kirkpatrick

We’ll have updates as they soon as they come throughout the summer! We’re also hoping to be experimenting with some multimedia stuff, so stay tuned on that front 🙂

2. Glad to hear that Sarah! You guys are dragging me into the 21st century … kicking and screaming LOL.

3. Looks like the Terriers will be strong for years to come. GO BU!

4. walter carlson

What a great job by the BU U coaching staff. Let’s pay these guys so we can keep them like B C did for years with their asst. coaches.

5. Welcome to BU Brady. You made a “senior” alum very happy. Wish we were getting Matt too, but your committment is great news and a great way to get the summer going. Good luck to you and to Matt.

6. Great news, but since Matthew decided to forgo college, who is to say that Brady won’t do the same thing.

7. That’s a risk with any kid who verbally commits. I don’t see Brady’s risk being any higher just because his brother changed his mind.