NCAA Tournament field set, BU to play Yale in Northeast Regional

The selection show is over and the bracket is set for the 2015 NCAA Tournament. For the third time this season, the Boston University men’s hockey team will play in the state of New Hampshire.

The Terriers were given the No. 3 seed overall and the top spot in the Northeast Regional that will be played in Manchester, New Hampshire. BU will face Yale University on March 27 at 2:00 p.m. in the first game. Although they haven’t played Yale, the Terriers are 3-2-1 against ECAC opponents this season.

Along with BU, Hockey East schools Boston College and Providence College are among the 16-team field. The other No. 1 seeds include Minnesota State University Mankato (the overall top seed), Miami University and the University of North Dakota.

Here is what the full bracket looks like:

Northeast Regional (Manchester, New Hampshire) 

• No. 1 Boston University vs. No. 4 Yale University, March 27 at 2:00 p.m. (ESPNU)
  • No. 2 University of Minnesota Duluth vs. No. 3 University of Minnesota, March 27 at 5:30 p.m. (ESPNU)

East Regional (Providence, Rhode Island)

• No. 1 Miami University vs. No. 4 Providence College, March 28 at 6:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
  • No. 2 University of Denver vs. No. 3 Boston College, March 28 at 3:00 p.m. (ESPN2)

Midwest Regional (South Bend, Indiana)

• No. 1 Minnesota State University Mankato vs. Rochester Institute of Technology, March 28 at 4:00 p.m. (ESPNU)
  • No. 2 University of Nebraska Omaha vs. No. 3 Harvard University, March 28 at 7:30 p.m. (ESPN3)

West Regional (Fargo, North Dakota)

• No. 1 University of North Dakota vs. No. 4 Quinnipiac University, March 27 at 8:00 p.m. (ESPNU)
  • No. 2 Michigan Tech University vs. No. 3 St. Cloud State University, March 27 at 4:30 p.m. (ESPN3)

1. Super lame that the game is on a work / school day at 2:00 PM.

2. I am thankful that I have such a flexible schedule. 🙂 The only thing I don’t like is the negative karma we seem to have in the state of New Hampshire.

3. Yea, Eric. I am retired and can watch but when I was working I would have had to watch the game on tape later. When you let the NCAA and ESPN run things nothing good can come for college hockey. The colleges have to take the game back. Why not let these games be played at the home rinks as they were several years ago. They were at night and the loyal fans had a chance to watch.
    By the way I read the blog during the game and did not think that Yale had a chance but was it Sarah that called it BU vs Yale. Great insight if it was you. Thanx.

4. I am also disappointed with the 2:00 game time as well. I completely agree it should be in the home rinks of the top seed in the bracket. Luckily I will be able to watch it as well.
    Glen…NO WORRIES my friend!! Nothing’s gonna stop us. Such great feelings and visions going on!! So proud of this team and staff and how hard they’ve worked!!
    GO BU!!

5. I was at BU from 1985-1987 and remember BU hosting the Minnesota Golden Gophers in an NCAA Quarterfinal match-up. The advantage of that system is the excitement of a real home ice and home crowd advantage (that is earned). The drawback of that system is that the seating capacity can be limited (though not the case with BU’s arena). Anyway, I had such a wonderful time this weekend. I got to see Bernie and Tom (our excellent announcers) as well as Jack Parker … and got to meet several parents of players at the pre-game party.

6. Yea, Glen. I forget the year but do you remember when North Dakota came to Walter Brown for the NCAA’s. Best of three. What great hockey. Now we will have a half empty arena on Friday as will all the arenas that will be early games. Why do they disrespect the fans who support the team all year and must travel so far for the prelim rounds?

7. Hi Walter. I don’t remember that BU-UND series but I am sure it was absolutely electric at Walter Brown. I do remember a regular season weekend series against North Dakota. There was that Hrkac-circus line that they had which led their highly potent offence.

I am very frustrated about poor attendance at BU hockey games in general … whether at a neutral site or at Agganis. I just don’t understand why our product cannot be marketed in a way that results in sellouts. I wish a committee could be formed to galvanize a stronger commitment to BU than we currently enjoy. There has to be some sort of outreach … both on campus and off-campus. All those families who can’t afford seats at Bruins games but still want to see high-level ice hockey in an extraordinarily family-friendly environment.

8. About the attendance, yes, it has come from having to buy tickets from students not wanting to come to get in with extra people in my group to walk up and buy at almost every game. To be very frank when I watch a game at the new arena it is so unlike the atmosphere that was Walter Brown. WE were promised the noise level would be the same when the new arena was put up. It has not been so and sometimes during a game I feel that I am at a movie house as I can not hear the student band or the students themselves. Also the last AD did not like hockey and did everything to push B ball because he wanted to be politically correct.Add this to the fact that we ave not been on tv lately as we have been in the past because of such a weak product in the last years of Parker. Now we have no broadcast radio which I have followed for the pat 50 years. One of the unintended consequences is that the newspapers do not print that there is even a game at BU that night and we miss the general hockey fan on nights where there is no other game in town. We have very poor marketing of the team and this year with Eichel we should have sold out every game. Now we have a great game in the NCAA’s coming up at many can not view as it is in the middle of a work/ school day. BU administration has given up with promoting the hockey team it would seem.

9. I can’t fully disagree with a lot of what you are saying Walter. I think we know that a new arena was needed with the recruiting situation and all, but unfortunately Agganis has become a very corporate and generic arena experience. When we played back in Walter Brown this year, I felt that in many ways the experience was better than what we see in Aggains, despite the lack of “amenities”. I’m not saying should go back to WBA, but somehow they need to recapture that “old barn” feel in the new arena.

The off ice issues, poor product last year, overall weaker product the previous few years I’m sure have all contributed to the lower attendance. The pricing has has well. Pricing is not NHL level by any means, but at the same time it is no longer an obvious cheap night out… particularly for the young alum crowd, who might have to think twice about dropping $30 for a ticket, $10 for parking plus a couple of $9 beers.

10. Maybe someone can answer this question: When BU won the Hockey East title on Saturday night, they were chanting “Argentina”. At least that’s what I heard them say during the highlight clip (at the end). What does that mean? Is that their new slogan … like “Burn the Boats” was in 2009?