Odds and ends: Polls, Hockey East Media Day and more

This season, we’re going to try something new. We’re starting a series of articles called “Odds and Ends,” which is exactly what it sounds like — various links, tweets, videos and anything else related to Boston University hockey or college hockey in general that we think might interest you.

Until the season starts, these posts will only be occasional, but once the 2014-15 season gets underway, we’ll have these a few times a week.

-Here’s our recap of yesterday’s Hockey East Media Day, along with videos of comments from David Quinn and Matt Grzelcyk and Evan Rodrigues.

-From the Providence Journal, Providence College head coach Nate Leaman discusses his team being picked as preseason favorites to win the conference.

-BU women’s hockey was named preseason conference favorites, and ranked No. 6 nationally in coaches’ polls released Monday.

-In case you missed it, the results of the Hockey East media poll and our picks for the preseason first team.

-Freshman forward Jack Eichel will be taking over the @USAHockey Twitter account on Wednesday.

-NHL Central Scouting released its “Preliminary Players to Watch List” Tuesday. Names on there include Jack Eichel, A.J. Greer, ’15 recruit Jordan Greenway and ’16 recruit John McDermott.

-One more thing on Eichel and Greenway: They’ll be playing in Thursday’s All-American Prospects Game on Thursday. The game will be broadcasted on NHL Network starting at 7 p.m. EST. If you can’t watch it then, the game will be re-aired on Friday at 1 p.m. and again Sunday at 1 p.m.

-Our annual hockey preview issue will be released on Oct. 9. We’ve already started working on some features and graphics — stay tuned for that!